Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screamin SBC

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Ok all, whats the key for a small block chevy that can handle 6500 rpms daily with ease? Im lookin to build a 450 hp small block for my k10, and i want some R's outta it....

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

about $4000 in the heads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

balanced and good bottom end parts. balanceing the bottom end and good bearing clearances like .002 lite weight pistons and rods and go all roller cam and rockers

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Any good 350 can withstand 6500 if built correctly. Yes, light pistons/rods will help it live & strongly recommended. A 4-bolt would be nice but not absolutely necessary unless over 500-550hp. You will also need a big cam & good valvetrain components along with head of Vortec flow capability or better. Any properly sized hydraulic flat tappet or roller lifter is good to approx 7000. Above this solid lifters (either flat or roller) are better & absolutely necessary above approx 7400 RPM.

I ran a 2 bolt 350 for quite a few years shifting at 7000 with nothing more than good rod bolts, balancing & TRW forged pistons. I do not recommend this, but when I was younger & extremely fund limited, I took some chances.

Now I must ask, why do you want to rev this high? A good truck engine, unless built for truck pulling or mud bogging, will require a cam that makes peak power under 6000 rpm. A 3000# car would be different. Revving it higher is just a waste of time & added risk for breakage. A cam designed for 6500 power will make poor torque under 3000 & be sluggish in a heavy truck with big tires under normal usage.

Hope this helps.

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I just (putting it in this weekend) built roughly what you are asking for for my K5. The key wasnt in big $$, I spent less than $3000.00.

If you want I can send you the "ingredients" to my sbc. It dyno'd at 420hp @ 5700 445ft/lb @ 4300 with 350ft/lb off idle.

Like I said, I spent less than 3k and went with new water pump, new carb, machine work, new everything but block. I went with a 76 4-bolt block and had it bored 30 over and align honed, balanced, etc... it will hold 6k rpm steady... though I wouldnt ask it to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you want, I have also had the privilege of a friend building a stroker with 500+ft/lb for around the same $$. I think I can still get the ingredients on that.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Confedneck

Ok, so i found what is supposed to be a running 400ci for 150$, would that be a better starting point to build a badass motor for my 86k10?

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, possibly. The 400's are torquier motors which is good for 4x4's, BUT you will spend a lot more $$$ building a 400 than you will a 350.

8. Confedneck

but would it be worth the extra $$$?

9. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

My god yes, 400s are great 4x4 motors,just use a set of 5.7 inch(350) rods instead of the stock ones and get it balanced and it will be more reliable and last a long time. But they dont like the high revs as much as a 350. Another option is the 377 small block, a 400 block with a 350 crank. they will rev more freely and handle it better than a 400.

10. Confedneck

ok, so that 377 will open up pretty well, but will it build power down low pretty decent?

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You're kinda throwing us a loop here. You want an engine that's going to be making power and "screamin" to 6500 rpm and also building up power in the low rpms. That's a difficult task to accomplish and is going to take some serious planning and work to achieve. I suggest you just look at building a 350 that has its peak torque around 2500 rpm and the peak horsepower around 4200-4500 rpm. There's no need to wind it higher than that - especially if you build it right to make the power peaks at those previously mentioned RPM's.
    Another option to look at is a 383 stroker. These are 350 blocks with 400 cranks known for the gobs of low-end torque.

12. Confedneck

where would a 377 make most of its power at? in general... i've never done anything like built an engine before, and i plan on having help.. but i want to gather as much info as possible before i start making decisions that cost money...thanks for all the help everyone... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

CORRECT me if im worng
    but isent a 377 a HIGH RPM motor
    where a 383 is a midrange/low RPM motor
    BTW I do like a good 5000-65000RPM motor if your not crawling but then aing I like to go fast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Well... 65,000 RPM might be a little tough on a small block, but $4000 in the heads will definately help... errr... maybe not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A 400 wont cost too much more to build than a 350- unless you plan on revving the piss out of it. I wouldn't worry about the RPM, keep the build conservative and focus on torque. You don't want to build an engine with a powerband you don't get to use.

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well I can tell you have never riden in a truck that can hit 65,000RPM LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Confedneck

yeah, chevy4wd's truck sees 65,000 rpms regularly, at least thats what it sounds like, and it puffs black smoke good too, heh

17. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

no black smoke here
    Confedneck is thinken about his cars at work

18. Confedneck

funny story about that "cars at work" customer comes in with an expedition "smokes more than normal" i about died of laughter... i guess he though some smoke was normal from his ford, LOL LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

topdown, what heads did you use???

20. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Trick flow aluminum 23* chevy heads... 2.02/160 and I got a set of 1.6 ratio roller rockers (those things are sweet) for them.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif