Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screw in studs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 25, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about finally finishing putting together a 327 I have in the garage. My mom's boyfriend has a solid lifter cam (I dont have the specs memorized right now), but I think I should have screw in studs put in the heads.

Anyone know on average what screw in studs would cost (to have it done)?

Also, what should I expect to pay for a set of solid lifters?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As long as the cam doesn't have more than .500" lift you will be ok with the press in studs. I would however recommend using screw-in studs. You must also make sure that you use the recommended springs for the cam you are going to use. How do you know that it is a solid lifter camshaft? You better be correct about that otherwise you are in for a failure very quickly. You cannot run hydraulic lifters on a solid or roller cam, you cannot run solid lifters on a hydraulic or roller cam, and you cannot use roller lifters on either a hydraulic or solid cam. What I am saying is be absolutely positive that the cam you are wanting to use is a solid lifter cam before you go putting solid lifters on it.
    I charge $150.00 to machine for and install screw-in studs in a set of chevy heads plus the studs. I would recommend that you choose ARP for the studs. Also remember that if you are going to use guide plates that you must also use hardened push rods as well.

3. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

pin the head. Drill 1/8" and put pins in

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

"hammer" has the trick. We used to do that all the time. Mr gasket company has a kit, part #806. comes with drill bit and roll pins. The problem is with stiffer "performance" springs, the studs pull out. This will stop that at a fraction of the cost. and you can do it yourself.