Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screw the jeep, I'm gettin a 1st gen!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four50four, Sep 2, 2000.

1. four50four

four50four Registered Member

Screw the jeep, I\'m gettin a 1st gen!

Hey, well I pretty much decided to get a jeep, but then when I learned what I was getting into, I think my mind might be changed. First, I wanted to run a 350, since most jeep engines, well, are average at best. To do that I would either have to pay $500 for a conversion bell housing to mount it to the crappy 3-spd tranny. Or i could change to a whole chevy drivetrain and have severe driveline problems. To run 35's you have to either use a 4inch lift and 3 inch body lift or put the springs on top of the axles. You then have to swap axles because of the sub 8-inch front ring gear and the rear two piece axles suck, as well as ALL the ratios. What it comes down to is all I want is a convertable top. So, now, I can get a 12 bolt rear, dana 44 front with 3.73's, a 350, np205, sm465 or th350, (perfer the stick) AND actually have enough room to sleep in my truck (got a feeling this will be a common occurance)

So, basically this is a post asking where to find these first gens. I want a 71-72 blazer, but I don't think I can be that picky. Anybody have one for sale in Ontario. I don't have a whole lot of money, so I don't want a pristine stock one, I'd rather find a fixer upper, but not a complete basket case. I'm not ruling the jeep out yet, cuz I still think there cool, and i do have a 350/th350/np205/dana44/dana60 to put in one. But if I can find a 1st gen before a jeep that's the route I will go. Thanks

Keith

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: Screw the jeep, I\'m gettin a 1st gen!

<font color=blue>You are very smart for wanting a 1st gen over a J**p! Try http://www.blazer-net.com. Its a 1st gen-only site and there's trucks there for sale all the time. They made the full-convertable top up until 75.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

3. four50four

four50four Registered Member

WOW! great site, and it's canadian too! I'm just looking through the for sale ads now. Thanks again!

Keith

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey, another canadain K5er
    Whats wrong with the 69-70 blazers? The 1st generation blazers are 69-72. I too did concider a jeep as one of my options but a K5 is way better. The pic belows sums up my feelings about jeeps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

5. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v owned 2 jeeps. The best 2 days of my life is when I sold them. The 1st one was a cj that was cold in the winter and hot in the summer and broke down all the time. The 2nd one was a 93 cherokee I bought for my wife to replace her good old AMC Eagle. She hated it( the cherokee) and we traded it in after 6 months. No more Jeeps for me!
    One more thing. My wife says that our K5 is the best 4x4 we have ever owned, and I'v owned a lot.
    Drive a K5,Chicks love them

[​IMG]
    Get Out and VOTE!

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Your going to have to look south for a rust free. GM installed the rust at the factory till about 82. Then they started getting some paint on inner parts like inside the rockers (it may have been an accident but hte guy more than likely got canned by the fool that approved the aztek). I recently saw an add for a second gen roadster for around 3k I'll see if I can find it again if your interested.
    Serious about the rust problems. With you being way north of the the beginning of the rust belt your going to have a heck of a time finding one up your way. If you do find one inspect the rocker boxes carefully for rust problems and bring the screw drivers and pull the carpet up. hit the link to my site and there are some pictures of how bad the rust can be. the first gen trucks are awsome looking btw!!! I May be looking at a 70 Suburban this week to replace the wifes 79 K5. Got a kid on the way and need more doors :)

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/