Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

screw this time for a new carb, thinkin about gettin a edelbrock peformer, which one?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jul 27, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my throttle linkage on my d.d. is like sticking or somthing. it doesn't return all the way. i can move it back like a 1/16. so when im at a stop it sounds like it idles really high but, when i move the linkage back it sounds fine. when i give it gas i have to feather foot it or back fires out carb and somtimes pipes and if i stay on it, it will die.then when i shut if off it wants to keep runnin like the timing is too advanced. so retarded it so it wouldnt do it but it barely moves and misses like no other. i can move the linkage back but it wont stay and its very hard to move.it didnt start doin this until i pulled the 4 bolts that hold the carb to the intake just to break in my other truck and when i put them back in my d.d. it started doin this. any ideas. im goin to rebuild the carb... again and see if that will
    help. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  2. down4thakrown

im done with this carb.
    was thinkin of putting a performer on my truck. since it wont be seeing much offroad if any now that im almost done with my trail rig. how many cfms should i get 600 or 700 for a chevy 350, i dont know what kind of cam it has but i know it has world product 64cc cast iron heads with actual roller rockers with edelbrock rpm intake.

3. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i have the 650cfm. edlebrock on my 350 that has a performer manifold, cam, roller rockers.

And had no issues with fuel starvation

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You shouldn't need to rebuild the carb and hope it fixes the problem.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your problem, or you have info you didn't post, simply removing the throttle cable and working the throttle shaft by hand will tell you if the problem is in the carb, or the cable, or whatever.

5. down4thakrown

i dont see a 650 performer. do you have the avs thats the only 650 i see.

6. onlychevy6

my bad it is the 600 cfm. i have the 1400 performer carb.

7. down4thakrown

wasnt the cables but, it was the linkages on the other side were jammed up or somthing. but now it moves freely. i dont know what it was i just moved the choke linkage and it was stuck too. it freed the primarys up. still might be considering buyin new carb though. that little lever holds that pin that controls the secondaries is sticking. can i wire that out of the way of that pin with out hurting anything. and do you need the choke flap on top of the carb?

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

you don't have to run the choke flap, I didn't use mine when O ran a holley.

I'm not sure I'd run a edlebrock, have seen some pretty bad experiences with them. Ask "big pappa b" about tellico :whistle:

9. down4thakrown

well i just snipped the flat piece off that pin that holds the secondaries closed when its cold and HOLY COW now it lights them up off the line. :laugh:

10. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

well it sounds like you got a choke prob the choke blocks off the secondaries when cold with that little piece you cut

11. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

glad ya got it running :D

12. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

BTW i have an edlebrock 1406 performer all i had to do was jet it to get it past emissions and it hasent had a problen since

13. down4thakrown

i thought by taking the flap on top off it would elimate the choke??
    im glad i got it goin too. i had to drive it to work this mouring running like that and it took me twice as long to get there and home. and i just spent 15hours on my other truck trying to get it running and broke in and then to have to deal with my d.d. running like that made it a real ruff day.

14. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

it eliminates the choke but the linkage (wich conrtols that little rod you cut) is still hooked up

15. down4thakrown

that exlpains why the four barrels wouldn't open until about 30-40 mph

16. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

it sounds like you got it under control did you rebuild your carb?

17. down4thakrown

yea, i had it for like 7 months. i bought it new. but when i bought it my truck ran real bad with the jets that were in it so i took the jets outta the carb that came with it and put them in that one. and it ran good for a while. then i ran it outta gas a couple of times and slowly gummed it up again. i think some one also spiked or cantaminated my tanks with somthing. :( is there a way i can tell if some one did? maybe like a PH test?

18. puckhead

puckhead 1/2 ton status

usually if you just drain your tank it will be real apparent cloudy gas or jelly is bad. as well as a lot of sediment. usually if you take your tank out empty it out and throw away the old gas rinse it out with water and let it dry in the sun. in arizonia it should take all of like 5 mins to dry j/k usually you will be fine after that also you may want to blow out all your lines on your frame and check for bends kinks ect... its not a bad idea to replace all the rubber lines when your in it this deep

19. onlychevy6

Wow i have never had a problem with mine. infact i rolled my blazer 3-4 times at TDS. :doah: Blazer landed on it hood sat for a few up side down. Got it rolled over. Then had the tire changed fired her up and drove back to camp.

So with that said i have had nothing but good luck with them.