Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screwed tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4Freak, Sep 18, 2002.

1. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

When I changed my trans. filter the other day, after it became sluggish on takeoff and making noise, I found lots of nice little brass filings and clutch material in the pan. It is just a matter of time now. I guess the 2.76 gears, years of abuse, and my right foot have finally done it in.

I want to convert to manual now and was wondering how much a sm465/np205 combo usually goes for. How hard is it to install the mechanical setup vs. hydraulic? I dont mind the extra effort to push the pedal if it is easy enough to install.

This is in my 79 K10 by the way.

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    You could just rebuild that tranny for less than what it would cost you to do the manual swap. I'm in the process of rebuilding my t350, and so far I've got around 150 into the parts... and that is with having to buy a new front pump, steels, clutches, bushings, seals, filter, and heli-coils for all of the stripped out bolts in it. You can also do some valve body mods for free to get it to shift however you want. Well, my valve body mods weren't free because I had to buy a washer... so I've got $.30 into that /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I realize that I could rebuild the th350 and have a strong reliable tranny, but I want to go to manual anyway plus my np203 is trashed and I want a np205 and this would be a good time to do it. Just gonna have to put off doing an axle swap for a little while.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds to me like it's time to hit up the salvage yards for all the parts you need for your connversion. You might get luck and find a wrecked 1 ton truck with a stick somewhere and get the axles at the same time. I'm currently looking for a wrecked 1 ton chevy truck (late 70's) that I can buy for all the parts I want. Hoping to find one with a big block. A complete 1 ton running gear big block set up in my Blazer ??? Oh yeah, now that's what I'm talking about !!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

That would be nice, but most of the 4wd trucks around here are 1/2 tons let alone any 1 tons. It would be nice if I could find another deal like I did with my K30, $500.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm keeping an eye out for any 1 ton trucks that have been wrecked up here. I just posted some wanted adds on the local message boards (local websites). I plan on running wanted adds in the local papers aswell. I don't want to pay over $500.00, so I'm not listing price I'm willing to pay, I'll see what the seller will take. I'm mainly after a Dana 60 and 14 bolt FF, anything else is a bonus. Would be really cool to end up with a big block out of the deal. I'll buy more then one if good deals come along and store parts for when I need them, or sell them at a fair price here on CK5 if anyone wants them. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

HEY IF YOUR INTERESTED I NO SO ONE WITH A 465/205 BUT ITS IN GRAND JUNCTION CO . IF YOUR INTERESTED PM ME AND IL GIVE HIS NAME AND NUMBER? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif