Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screwed-up my oil pan, any ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, May 14, 2000.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just finished replacing my motor mounts by carfully (or so I thought) raising the motor with a block of wood and jack, then started it up and heard the crank rubbing on the bottom of the pan. Son of a *itch!! Any ideas on how I could pull the dent out with out taking it off? Could I weld a hook or bolt to the bottom and then pull it back? Or do you think I need to just replace it? Any ideas, I am leaving for Moab on the 26th.

Steve

2. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

The best is to replace it! I just got a new one for mine and after much thought and a few hours of laying under the truck it can be replaced with out pulling the motor!! but the crossmeber will have to be r&r

3. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I would replace it. You need to take it off anyway to get the dent out, so you might as well put another one on, if available.
    Have fun in Utah!

Blazin' in Flagstaff

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Replace it!I did my wifes sub's and I din't have to remove the cross member.It is tight but easy.Brady

5. CK5

Are you saying that you can get the pan off without removing the crossmember or raising the engine?

Steve

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I recently pulled the pan in my 78. I did not have to remove anything but the two braces that go back to the Transfer Case. The pan should just unbolt and drop out of the way. Hey, while you are in there, I would replace the pump with a high volume unit. Plus buy a Moroso pan baffle for drag cars P/N 710-23000 (Jegs) $5.69. This will keep oil on the pickup during those steep uphill climbs. Good Luck. Take alot of pics at Moab and do a writeup! [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

7. walrus101

walrus101 Registered Member

i just did my head gaskets and decided to go ahead and take off oil pan and make sure there wasn't any gunck in it and cleaned it. i didn't take off the cross member. i took off starter and shield, and the pan came off easy. i put a high lift jack under front bumper and raised it a little just for more room above the axle, but that was all i did. took bout a hour to take off, clean, and put back on.

walrus101

goo goo gaju

8. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I didn't remove anything except the oil pan.I'm assuming you have a lift on this rig right?If you don't have a lift the front axle gets in the way unless you lift the rig and let the axle hang.P.S.Let me know what your plans are for the moab memorial thing I would like to try to go maybe for sat.I am only 3-4hrs away.Brady

9. CK5

I just pulled the pan without having to raise the motor or lower the crossmember, I did have to take off the starter though, all in all it wasn't to bad exept when I droped my wrench in my oil pan full of oil and a second time when a small bolt bounced off my forehead and landed in the oil pan. (bobbing for parts in oil sucks)
    I will be in Moab Friday afternoon and may hit a short trail then, all day Sat of course and another on Sun morning before heading back. I am staying at the Best Inn in Moab, the number is 1-435-259-8848. That would be great if more people could go.

Steve

10. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

I think I did pull the starter.Not to hard though.I was thinking of leaving fri.evening and camping or staying at a friends in Moab.Then meet you guys and wheel.I have to talk to the wife.Will let you know before.Brady

11. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Now that you have the other one off.Shot it full of holes with your weapon of choice.Hang it on the garage wall and make up a really good story about a Jap car,Half naked women,and 8000 rpms.