Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Screwing tires to rim to lock beads, what's your take...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mpascino, Jul 9, 2002.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Screwing tires to rim to lock beads, what\'s your take...

Hi, I've been watching a bunch four wheeling videos and such and have noticed it looks like some guys have screwed there tires to the rims. I know they do this on drag cars and it works flawlessly. Does anyone see why I could run tubes in my tires and put like 12+ screws(summit PN SUM-G1495) on each side of the rim. This would keep both sides of the tire locked on and with a tube it should hold pressure with no problems. Lets hear constructive critisims. Thanks,
    Mike
    T

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: Screwing tires to rim to lock beads, what\'s your take...

<font color="green"> I conidered this, but it seems like if the bead was going to come unseated, 12 little screws really isn't going to do a whole heck of a lot to prevent it. All you'll manage to do is mangle the beads and ruin the tire. In drag racing the lads are in a straight line, there are no side loads present to try to push the bead off of the seating surface, so it works in that application to keep the tire from spinning on the rim. </font color>

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

They did this in the old days on short track cars. But beadlocks have taken there place.

4. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

well I wouldn't be running the tires below say 12 psi. My tires are for a 16.5 rim, so the only thing holding them on is air pressure. I would think anything would make a difference compared to now. The tube would do most of the holding, the screws would be to stop the tire from slipping on the rim and tearing the tube apart.
    Mike

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

the purpouse for the screws in the tires for drag cars is so the rim dosent spin inside the tire...they dont do much for holdin the rim on the bead...i can picture it now...the screws just pullin out of the bead of the tire and destroying it...i dont think it would work all that well...but i have no personal experiance with tryin it so..who knows...try it and let us know what happens /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

get an old bald tire and a crap rim and try it out.

my .02

nathan

7. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status