Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

screwy gas gauge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87 mid canada k5, Jul 26, 2000.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

gauge used to stop at one eighth, now it only goes down to a little over half before i run out of juice. doesn't seem to be electrical , is there a float in the gas tank that could be getting stuck? anybody? anyone? SOMEBODY?!

2. rockosangel

rockosangel 1/2 ton status

There should be a float in your tank that registers the amount of gas you have left, but I would double check with others to make sure...I am not an expert on this Blazer thing....I am still learning myself.... It may also be your sending unit on the float that isn't working properly. Hope that helps you out a lil bit.

http://www.rockosangel.coloradok5.com

I'd rather push my Chevy than drive a Ford!

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

its most likely your sending unit they are cheaper than a tow truck so i would replace it, for now you can just record the milage on each tank 25gal tank at 10mpg means you can go 250miles between fill ups

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think the gas gauges on all K5s are all a little screwy. When i fill it up its like half an inch past full and when it says half its reall a third and you still have 5 gals. on empty. Also its fuller if you are going uphill

90K5

5. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

I find that my guage goes quite a bit past the full mark but the top half of the tank lasts a long time compared to the bottom half.

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

6. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I get the same thing i can go for about 2 weeks on the 1st half the second half goes like no tomorrow. That is very strange.

J.D.
    88 Gmc Jimmy

7. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

man when i turn cornors my gas tank goes from 1/2 tank to full tank on a turn...screwy aint it

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

From all my experience reading post's on this board your sending unit is gone. You can change it yourself, but the gas-tank will have to be dropped. Or you can make a acces-panel through the bed.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5 at:http://www.espen.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

9. 87 mid canada k5

well i have to drop the tank to fix a rear shock mount, so it looks like i'll be checking the sending unit. geez you guys are great i'm almost getting teary eyed, but i'll save that for when i pull down the tank, again! HELLO G.M. A DRAIN PLUG WOULD SURE BE NICE!

10. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think sometimes baffles will come loose inside the tank and interfere with the float. From your symptoms, check for this when you drop the tank. I have never seen a gas tank with a drain in the bottom - safety concerns I'm sure. I used the fuel pump to pump the gas out of my pickup when I needed to replace a rusted out fuel line.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

11. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Blazer1970 had the same problem i had. There are two studs on the baffle in the fuel tank that have pressed on nut looking things to hold it down. Mine came off of one of these and made the baffle swing. Not only did it make the sending unit get messed up, it hit the fuel pump so hard that it knocked it half off the little hose in there. When it did that my TBI wasn't getting adequate pressure and my car almost didn't run at all. Hope this helps. - Doug

Doug Krebs

12. 87 mid canada k5

thanks again, i hate to say this ( be nice now) but i think my 83 toy used to have a gas tank drain. ther's never that much gas in there anyhow, you think the prices are bad in the States, come up here and fill up.actually your 40 cent on the dollar discount might even things up! Later.