Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Scuba tank for air tank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by simply_signs, Jul 29, 2003.

1. simply_signs

simply_signs Registered Member

Not sure if this is the place to ask this question but I am thinking about using a scuba tank for a portable air tank. I was wondering if anyone has done this?

A scuba tank can hold up to 3300psi. I would use about 2500psi and you can buy a regulator for the tank to bring the air pressure down so you dont blow your head off. A buddy of mine is into the scuba stuff. And he thinks it would work. I just thought I would ask if it has been done before.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

First of all, welcome to CK5.

Second, I don't know how safe that would be. The top of a SCUBA tank can easily become a bullet if it is damaged. I would not risk it in my vehicle just for some air.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes - some people do it. You can buy regulators made specifically for scuba cylinders to put air in tires.

4. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

The only problem with using SCUBA tanks for air is you need to be a certified diver or have a buddy who is to get them filled.

5. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

SCUBA tanks I don't think are any more dangerous then other compressed air tanks. I use one from time to time you get one maybe two fill ups with 35's aired down to around 13 psi.