Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SCUBA tanks for air tanks in your truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 14, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Can you use a SCUBA tank for a CO2 tank in your truck? I found one for like $25 bucks at a place in town that sells em. It's used of course and it's ugly, but I don't care about looks, just function. It's 80 cu feet and 3000 spi... thanks! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I have a adapter off my scuba regulator to fill tires. Make sure it has a current hydro with some time left on it. Tanks have to be hydro tested every so many years to be able to be filled.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'll check it... probably doesn't have it why it's so cheap...

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Where did you get the adapter at? Can I just plug any air tool into it or is it just the tire chuck? I have a few tanks laying around and this thought was always in the back of my mind. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The date is stamped on the tank. If the date is more than 5yrs old the tank must be re-tested. I have my own Oxy/Acy tanks and when I moved to a differnt area and whent to a new welding supply to get them filled the welding supply would not fill them/replace them until I provided proff of ownership ie a recipt for buying them. Luckly I keep all my recipts. Duno if the rules aply to CO2 also but if you can't fill it...well you get the idea. mabie call a local supply and run the sanrio by them and see what they say. And ask how much $$ to test an expired tank(they usualy have to send them out).
    Good luck

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The one I have is a Plug that goes into the disconect where it ataches to my BC vest. I don't know what psi is coming out of the regulator to that port. The problem with running air tools off this would be the small size of the air line. That port on the regulator is only 1/8" pipe if I remember right. I don't have a full tank here so I can't use a pressure gauge to check it out either.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Works great - as long as the bottle is in good shape, and the hydro test is valid. We've been using SCBA bottles to power air tools for years - check out Ajax Rescue Tools for a possible source to get the regulator. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

You'll need a 1st stage reg $$$ to atach to the tank.

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

The 1/8 outlet is not a problem as I see it. Tool air fittings are 1/8 in. The small line size would be a benefit I think to keep the pressure up, rather than having a large line for the CO2 to expand into then having to choke back down to the 1/8 fitting.

Good idea BTW. There is a scuba supply store not far from where I live. I may have to make a run down there at lunch Monday.

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Just my .02 worth, but isn't that a little bit dangerous? At 3000 psi it could turn into a rocket if dammaged in an accident or even worse,,, explode? You can buy a 20 gallon air tank at napa for $39.95... Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...

11. Pure Insanity

A 20 gal tank wont air up most of our tires. That and it will only take (on average) 120-150 PSI. 80 gal @ 3000 will. Regulate that down to 90 PSI at like 10 CFM and you would have plenty of air.

Besides CO2 would put out any fires if it blew up! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Liquid C02 is around 800-1200 psi, you can get the tank hydro tested if necessary by your local firemarshall. I play paintball and it is common to use old scuba tanks for filling the gun tanks. Just be sure to keep it where it won't be damaged! My cousin had bumpers sealed and filled with compressed air, he was in an accident /forums/images/icons/frown.gif and from then on we call them grenade bumpers /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

13. Pure Insanity

I was going off the 3000 PSI I seen in the start post. They would definately need to be kept inside the rig where they would be safe from an impact, and tightly secured down when not in use.

I have never been a fan of bumper bombs. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Believe it or not, the things will survive nearly anything - including falling off fire engines at 60 MPH (I had nothing to do with it, I swear!!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ). Occasionally they'll blow and make a hell of a mess, but I actually know of this happening all of twice. (I posted some pics of a Detroit, MI engine a while back where a bottle tore the whole side off the cab.) A really good bracket with a collision restraint can be picked up for around $20-$30 from a fire equipment supplier. Really not too much to be concerned with though - as long as it's less than 15 years old, it should be problem free.

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The other side of this, A 50 pound CO2 extinguisher fell off the back of a truck at the local Navy base and landed just right to break off the valve. That sucker took off like a missle and buried it's self into the front of the car behind it. Wasn't pretty to see but was a freak accident. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

OK, so if I want to get one of these to use to airing up tires and for the occasional air tool, what size should I get? 40 cuft? 80? you can get a 80 cuft SCUBA tank for about $120 and the Power tank that is 84 cuft is $330 bucks. But I do not know what you need to get for the SCUBA tank to make a usable air supply......

17. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

If you have a pepsi or coke bottling plant around you can pick up one of there tanks for nothing, thats what they use around here tank regulator and hose cost about 4 bucks and its 13 buck to swaptanks for refill. Jesse

18. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

y dont people just rent from norco or soem company similar then u return the tank when done and they fill it? my parents do that for there buisness

19. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

When I was in Japan some of the guys were talking about a couple of dive tanks that had fallen out of the dive van while they were going around a corner. None of them had any real damage. They said they even used them for that days diving.

I think the benefit to using the Power Tanks is that they have the guard for the regulator.

20. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

All you'll really need is a regulator and a bracket of some kind - plus hoses and an air chuck, etc.