Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sealed beam to composite conversion?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by beater_k20, Dec 24, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

anybody done it? my 93 Cheyenne has the lovely sealed beam setup, and i'd really like to convert to a GMC composite grille. do i need anything other than the wiring harness and the headlight mounting pieces to do it?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

core support I believe.

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was thinking the same thing, but i checked my body parts catalog, as well as CK Resto, LMC, and Classic Industries, but it doesnt mention a difference. :dunno: was hoping to find someone who has done it to know for sure.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

If you do it, I would look for all of the parts from a 94-up front end. I think the lights and grill look better. Check out this site for conversion parts (I haven't looked yet for 90-93, but know he has the parts for 94-up):

http://www.mrtaillight.com/

Parts are cheap, so I am sure they are nowhere near OEM quality, but somehow I think you won't need them to last another 14 years.

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally go 94+. And if you are going to put in a billet grill, go with the GMC grill. I think they look way better with a billet grill.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

planning on 94+, however i'm kinda torn on some more cosmetic stuff.

i am definitely planning on SAS under the 93, my hood is dented, and my grille is busted, hence the cowl hood, and the composite grille. my dilemma comes in with the bumpers. my current front bumper has a dent in one side, it is chrome. the rear bumper is in decent condition, and its black. should i go with a painted front? or buy both chrome bumpers? as for the grille, i'm probably going to stick with a stock Chevy grille if i go black bumpers, and a GMC with a polished grille if i go chrome. which do you think would look better on a truck with 7" of lift on 35s? also keep in mind, its blood red, and the gay Cheyenne rub strips that are currently down the sides are coming off.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Chrome would look more show truck, if you are going for the wheeler thing more so, go black bumpers and black Chevy grille(unpainted, I agree that is the way to go if you are going with black bumpers).

I am converting to a Black Chevy grill with clear corners and parking lamps. The cheap chrome grill one I bought on ebay, well half the chrome has peeled off. Why would I expect it to last more than 2 years? Anyone know a good way to strip the chrome **** off plastic? I would just paint the grill I have but need to get that crap off first.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

going for the show truck thing on this one for now, plus it'll look sweet bashin through the woods in a couple years in a show truck. :D

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats kind of what I'm thinking for my 97. Convert to 4x4, go show truck thing a bit. Then save my doubler and stuff to throw in and really bash it later.

Oh and if it were me, GMC chrome grill, billet grill in that, chrome bumpers.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was looking at my other 93 Chevy, and i really liked the looks of it, that's why i'm thinking the Chevy grille, but with a 94+ grille, instead of the 88-98.
    [​IMG]

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

compared core supports on my 92 Silverado and my 93 Cheyenne... everything is there to mount the Silverado grille and headlights, so its a go. went to the junkyard yesterday and scored a headlight harness, now i just need to decide which headlights/markers/corners to buy. i have also decided on the chrome Chevy grille with polished inserts in it.

14. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

For headlights, I'd recommend TYC.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

ordered a set of clear headlights, and matching markers and corners off of EBay.

anybody interested in a writeup on the sealed beam to composite conversion? or the Mr Taillight 4 hi kit i've got coming?

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4 hi kit sure. its basic and simple but just seeing pictures of it done would be nice. I need to get to ordering that kit, and my taillights.