Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sealing axle seals??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jtl_77, Jan 25, 2005.

1. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

I am wondering if anyone has done or tried this?
    I run in alot of deep mud and water and the front axle tubes get filled with mud leading to inner axle seal failure.
    I'm looking for ideas on how to keep the mud and water out.

has anyone tried putting a seal on the outer edges of the axle tubes? or anything else?

10 bolt front

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

try this..

We sold seals for a dodge dana 44 front axle that went in the outer axle tube,they were a metal shell with felt inside--I never tried using them,but more than a few customers at the parts store said they did help,but did not keep all the crud out of the axle tube...I think the dodge and GM axles are the same I.D.and O.D.,if not maybe you could look them up by sizes in a numerical listing catolog...

One guy I know took his F-250 to Pep Boys to fix his leaky front axle--instead of pulling the carrier out and replacing the seals,some genious pumped a whole caulking gun sized tube of permatex blue snot RTV stuff in the outer axle behind the U-joint!!--needless to say it didnt work well,and it was hell for the next mechanic to fix--its amazing what theese places try to get away with!(and often do,since many owners are clueless when it comes to mechanical stuff!).:crazy:

Maybe some foam stuffed in there would help,like a sponge,or pipe insulation-?-at least it wont do any harm if it gets into where it dont belong..:confused:

3. jtl_77

jtl_77 Registered Member

I was thinking of trying some pipe insulation. I was wondering if others was having this problem and how they fixed it.