Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sealing between T-case and the TH350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ankarback, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I removed the T-case yesterday to replace it with a better one and found some kind of thick sealing between the T-case (NP203) and the TH350 automatic. What does it do, it´s no oil there that can leak out. Do I need to replace it or can I just remove the old sealing and put the new T-case in.

Need some opinions on what to do.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That seal keeps the tranny fluid in the tranny and stops it from leaking into the T-case.

Rene

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

If you look into the end of the TH350, you will notice there is a bushing pressed into the hole where the tailshaft comes through. The bushing is fed with trans fluid which lubricates the tailshaft. There is a small hole below the tailshaft where the fluid (which enters the space between transmission and transfer case) drains back into the trans pan. The round oring seal keeps the fluid from leaking on the floor. The transfer case may have its own internal seal near the input bearing to prevent trans fluid from entering.

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I have to find a new one then.

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Go to your local tranny shops. they usually have 1 or 2 laying around out some kits they may have used . I found one that way and it was free.