Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sealing bleeder screws?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Mar 22, 2006.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I know that sealant is A Bad Thing on the inverted flares, as the threads just push the flare down, and the flare is what seals.

But on the bleeder screws, the bottom (non inverted) flare is what seals when in use ... and the threads seal when they're cracked and I'm trying to bleed. Even on new (reman) calipers with new screws, I get some leakage around them, which I think is causing me grief.

I see some of the bleeders come with some kinda goo on them, maybe antisneeze ... so, the question: is teflon tape or rectum-seal okay for those threads, as long as I keep it the hell away from the bottom of the bleeder?

-- A

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I would just use some antisneeze

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A bit of leakage around the threads is normal when you loosen the bleeder screws. Only open the bleeder 1/2-3/4 of a turn and snug it up tight before the pedal is let up. When the bleeder it tightened it won't leak at all.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another thing...

I've noticed nearly every bleeder screw that has the rubber cap still over the end always comes loose easily,no matter how rusted the caliper or cylinder is.....and nearly every one without one snaps off almost without fail!...

I guess the water goes right to the tapered seat and rusts it to the caliper or wheel cylinder,even with never seize on the threads they snap off ...so I try to save those caps,or at least put a dab of grease or silicone over the bleeder nipple end..it does help!..only takes 1 year here for them to rust solid..:doah:

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You might want to try a set of these http://www.speedbleeder.com/. I have the same problem with the bleed screws on my Dana-60. Using a vacuum pump to bleed my front brakes is useless with the air being sucked right through the bleeder screw threads, which is why when I bleed the fronts on my truck, The pressure pushing out the air has to come from the master cylinder (pushing down to the calipers), as apposed to my vacuum pump, which pulls the air out from the caliper.

[​IMG]

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I've messed with the speedbleeders -- Motormite sells 'em now even -- but I find they are an additional cost and hassle. I've had just as good luck with pressure-bleeding with traditional screws.

And yeah, vacuum bleeding sucks -- literally =)) I had the same experience of air being pulled through the bleeder threads, so I've switched back to pressure bleeding with the garden sprayer.

-- A