Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

sealing subwoofer holes

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 3car, Jul 12, 2003.

1. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i have built two sealed enclosures,and i was wondering whats the best method to make sure i have a positive seal around the subs once installed.i was going to trim back the carpet with a utility knife,and run a small bead of silicone,but im up to easier(or cleaner)ideas.thanks

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

after doing some research,i now see that silicone is not a good idea due to its damageing effects on the drivers during the curing process.???

3. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

why not use self adhesive weatherstipping like that used around doors and windows on a house

4. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

my speakers came with a rubber gasket that fits around the lip on the basket, that seems like the best idea I can think of.

-Scott

5. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

yeah,im not sure if my subs will come with gaskets or not.ill find out soon.i have seen on several other sites that a hot set-up is high density foam weatherstrip,while others suggested rope caulk(like putty in the form of rope that dosent harden).time to play. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif