Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

search feature

Discussion in 'Feedback | Site Announcements' started by CyberSniper, Dec 13, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use the piss out of the search feature.

I enjoy using the search feature.

It really fscking pisses me off when the fscking search feature fscking doesn't work.

In the olden days I could type "+bds +drop +pitman +arm" would only return the posts with "bds" "drop" "pitman" and "arm" in the body.

Now, with this craptacular search (ranks up their with phpBB's disgrace for a search) I get this:
    "Search: Key Word(s): drop, pitman
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: bds, arm "

Just because the words are only three letters long doesn't mean they're not important.

Right now I'm using Google to search CK5 instead. The links might all be bad but at least I have a chance of not wading through 4504675254 posts because it only included "drop" and "pitman" in it.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Tell me how you really feel there sparky. :D
    I have the search set to 4 letters so asshats don't search on the words; the, and to, etc.
    Give me a list of words that are less than 4 letters like bds, and I will add them to the list of words to exclude. Also, take a little time and learn how to use the new search it is much better than the old one.

3. CyberSniper

Yeah, I know. vBulletin's search feature is very difficult to manipulate just like phpBB's search feature is. Usually when I want to search for something I know the words it must include (and phrases) and the words it must not include... then sometimes the particular forum. The rest of the junk is just more fuzz to make the programmers feel better about themselves.

I haven't really seen anything about vBulletin's search feature that blows my skirt up any.

BDS, arm, TTB... that's all I can think of right now.

4. CK5

No matter what I do, I will never be able to please 100 percent of the people 100 percent of the time.

5. CyberSniper

Yeapper... I do computer support... technically called a system administrator... where I get to deal with people that... blah. Let's just say I don't try to please them anymore... I just try to get them to STFU. It's not worth the headache or indigestion.

6. CK5

7. CyberSniper

How about disabling that "feature" so it doesn't do it to numbers?

"404 unimog" will get you ever single solitary mention of the word "unimog". Or "406 portal". "Ford 9" gets you a Ford.

Can you tell Google to reindex the forums? I'll just quit using the search feature on the forums if you have Google indexing them also.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

no numbers

I second the number thing. I wanted to search for posts on installing rear 52" springs in the front, and I couldn't think of any successful way to search without 52 being a key element.

9. CK5

Bumped it down to 2 characters.

10. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is there a way to just make it exclude certain words automatically, such as "a, and, the, with, as, for" similar to the way google does it?