Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Searched (but still can't find answer)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by titus95, Sep 20, 2005.

1. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

Question on U-Joints:
    Can they make a squeeling or squeeking noise like a belt if they are going bad? It happens in low gear (1st). I want to change them but I can't seem to find a nut or bolt that holds them in...there are pins how do I get them out? Appreciate the info.
    Ben

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If it's a u-joint like this one:
    [​IMG]

Then there's 4 blots each on 2 each metal clamps. U-joint is held in the driveshaft with C-clips. Don't ask why that one's connected to the pinion with no driveshaft :(

3. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

The pins your talking about are plastic. If you heat them up with a torch the melt. They come out like those snake firework things.

4. titus95

titus95 Registered Member

I'm sorry to make things confusing...I know there are four bolts that mount into the pumpkin (U-Joint) but what about the U-Joints that are directly out of the T-Case...are those the plastic pins that one is able to melt...otherwise it looks like someone sheared the heads off a very small bolt. Thanks again.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

They should press out after you remove the internal c-clip

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yes they can squeak!!

Often bad U-joints make a RRRRR-EEEEE---RRRRRR-EEEEE squeaking noise when backing up or going forward slowly--noise increases speed as the driveshaft does,until you get to 30mph or so,where it may or may not "go away"--actually it does not "go away"--its just going so fast its harder to hear!---what your hearing is dry,rusted caps with no needle bearings rubbing against the journals on the "cross"...you have about 0-50 miles left after this noise starts in before your towed to the nearest service station--and sometimes junkyard to look for another driveshaft! :doah: :eek1: :crazy:

7. 4wheelattitude

4wheelattitude 1/2 ton status

Are you certain its the joints making the noise? Before you go through alot of trouble.

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Or sometimes they don't make any noise and your driveshaft shears off of the U-joint (see above photo) :mad: