Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Searched for the facts now I want opinons

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lobo 89, May 11, 2003.

1. Lobo 89

Lobo 89 Newbie

Longtime lurker and Blazer/Jimmy owner ready to start my latest 4X4 project. My "new" stock 89 Jimmy is in excellent cosmetic condition but the motor has 3 dead holes and the ride comfort is poor. My budget will allow for a new 350 to be dropped in and a suspension lift. Which one first?

I use my Jimmy as my daily commuter, but on the weekends I take the family out to the desert and mountains of NW Wyoming. The trails I run are more Engineer Pass and Baja-type than Tellico or Moab. No rockcrawling, mudbogging or interstates.

I am trying to determine if I should do the motor swap first, even though it runs fine once the compression is up, or the lift since the Granny cruiser stance is pretty lame, the clearence is poor and the ride is bouncing me all over. I've never had to do a motor swap but doing one on a lifted 4X4 sounds like a PITA. But why replace the motor yet if it'll still runs?

The lift I'd been considering is the 4 inch with 35's. The problem with that is I have 10 bolts with 3.42's. I'm not wasting money regearing 10 bolts nor are new axles in the budget. My initial thought was to lift it, run it till the old motor finally dies, then replace it while keeping my eyes open for stronger axles.

I'd appreciate hearing from any and all who've been down this road or whoever has a thought for me to consider. Thanks for reading and sharing!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

motor first.

all the suspension in the world won't make it start in the morning.

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I totally agree! Make it run good first!

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    all the suspension in the world won't make it start in the morning.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifgood point... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Another vote for "engine first". /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Another vote for the engine. You want to modify a nice solid reliable truck, not a POS that's going to leave you stranded on a trail somewhere. </font>

7. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

If you dont crawl or bog, why get bigger axles? Do 1 thing at a time. Get the engine/tranny up to snuff, then lift, and once you smoke an axle then start looking in that direction

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Motor, lift kits are cheap

9. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Another vote for the engine. You want to modify a nice solid reliable truck, not a POS that's going to leave you stranded on a trail somewhere. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would have to agree i can show you pics of mine and the body looks like hell but the motor tranny and all the drivetrain are in great shape don't matter what she looks like YET!

10. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

motor first

If the one you have runs, maybe you can sell it to offset the cost of the new motor. You won't get near as much $ for a bunch of parts if it dies as you will for a running motor.

11. Lobo 89

Lobo 89 Newbie

I appreciate the comments. I guess I was thinking of the lift first because the suspension really needs help, while the motor is still hanging in there. I'll keep everyone updated as this project evolves. Thanks again -

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get the lift/tires first. That way your rig will look great when its sitting in front of your house with a blown engine.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Since you don't rock crawl, I did a body lift on my truck before I did the engine, it made a whole world of difference in working on it. You have a lot more room to work and jam your hands in. I can actually reach my hand in from the side (not under the truck, kneeling near the driver's tire) and loosen/tighten the top bellhousing bolts for the transmission.
    Do the motor first, you'll be thankful that you don't have to jump down each time you have to grab a tool!

14. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Engine. Get all the regular maintainence/repair crap outta the way then you can start throwing upgrades at it...

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

well...this new starter suspension from edlecrap....*continutes sarcastic rant* www.cheapcrap.edlebrock.com

/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif