Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Searched- now confused on backspacing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Apr 6, 2005.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I did a search and read every thread on backspacing I could find and am more confused when I started. :confused:

I am putting 35x14.50x15 Boggers on a 8 lug Dana 44 and on a 14ff. This is on a '75 k5 that will only see road on the way to the trail. I don't want the inside of the tire to rub on the radius arm or whatever you call the link from the front axle back to frame. I am going to use steal wheels- something not too expensive. Sounds like there will be no issue on the rear.

However, some posts said the less backspacing, the less grinding on the front. Others said to use 4 inches or more. Am I worrying about rubbing at full crank too much? Other than grinding the caliber and rubbing, what are the other problems with too much backspacing? With too little backspacing I will where out bearings and ball joints I know- what else would happen? I was thinking about spliting the differences and trying 3.75 in backspacing.

Obviously, my first time with this.... so your input is appreciated.

2. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

not that some one here wouldent know have you tryed talking to some on at like nathoinal wheel and tire they sell hundreds of sets a year.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the problem w/ running 4" of backspacing is grinding the caliper to fit the 15" wheel. u also run a chance of the inside of the tire rubbing the leaf spring.

with only 2.75" u will need to cut the fenders to keep the tires out of them.

i believe the most popular backspacing for your set up is some where between 2.5" & 3".

i would not grind the caliper enough to clear 4" backspaced 15" wheels. that is just me though. also if u don't already have the tires u plan to run i would consider going to 16" wheels to avoid all grinding. i know a lot of people grind calipers but i have never liked the idea of it.

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Run 4" of backspacing and grind the calipers to fit. You can't run much more than 4" of backspacing (4.25" is pushing it) with 15" wheels because it'll hit the tie rod end. It doesn't take a lot of grinding (compared to a Dana 60).

The more you pull your tires in over the balljoints the better it'll turn.

I run 40s on a half ton axle (2" narrower than 3/4 ton) and my tires don't hit the leaf springs. Gets close to the steering box and the shocks but a far cry from the leaf springs. Ford half tons have radius arms.

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I already have the tires- ran across a great deal and had to pick them up.

Crap, Cyber found out my secret...... this is my first Chevy..... have always had Fords. :grin:

In the next year or two I am probably going to go to a D60 and high steer- will the same rims work?

6. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I am running a d60 up front with a 15" wheel. the first wheels I had had 3.5 BS and I had to grind the calipers alot. I wanted the tire to stick out a little more so I ordered new wheels with 2.5 BS and they dont even come close to hitting the calipers. BTW i am running a 15x10 with a 39.5x18x15 bogger and the only issue I have is clearing the fenders. :hack: