Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

searched: where to buy vent tube?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Nov 29, 2003.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i need a vent tube adaptor thing (the part that plugs into the axle it self for the hose to connect to) and cant find where to buy one. i called the local shop and they aere no help.
    The axle is an 84 D60
    Thanks
    The local yard has no 60's so will any vent tube fit?

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Under the part # database in the bloody knuckle I posted the GM part # for it. This was back when I was a member.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just tap the hole for 1/8" pipe and buy a thread-in fitting. I did this to my D60 axle since my vent tube fitting was missing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i even used the part number at the dealership and they said they didnt have it and "maybe but doubtful" that a warehouse back east had 1...

if i tapped it to 1/8 how would i connect that to the tube?

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Branndon, want me to see if I can get you one? Sounds like the dealer you went to was retarted. They should be able to order you one.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

would love one.. any way i can get it.. lol go ahead and check if you can get me one please. and if it is in a east coast wearhouse they can just ship it to the dealership around the corner from me right? Thanks jason.
    BTW my ORD steering box reinforcement plate arrives monday /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You would then buy an 1/8" pipe to 5/16" nipple or whatever size hose you are going to run to the differential and screw that into the housing then attach the hose to it.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i could use one of these too... 85 D60...

j

9. 83_chevy_blazer

83_chevy_blazer Registered Member

i made my own. i reised all my vent tubes to the firewall level. i used these brass fittinbgs i got at dixiline. im prety sure theyre for gas routing. anyway they have a treaded side and the other side is a male fitting with 4 ridges. i believe the thred side was 1/4 in diameter, either way it was a tiny bit too big so i beveled it down with the grindstone. then i put some gasket maker on it and bashed it into the hole. i did this for my 12 bolt rear, transfer case, and transmition. i used clear nylon tubing for the hose and little fish tank bubble stones for breather caps. the fish tank bubblers attach by glueing a little bit of the fish tank hose into the breather hose.

10. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I need one for my rear 10 bolt. If anyone can find me one with the threads still good I will gladly paypal or send money order.

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I did the same as mentioned above. I used a 1/8" NPT tap (with some grease on it to catch chips as I did it without changing the fluid). I then bought a 1/8" NPT x whatever barb fitting. I haven't had good luck with the pressed in ones...they just pull out and let water, dirt, and mud in. The tap will set you back about $8 but the fittings are like $.95 You should put one in your tranny as well as they don't come with a vent line (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Hey will one from a Dana 44 work? Or a 14B or a 10b?

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The reason I went with the threaded in one is because my old D44 had a thread in one on it from the factory. When I got my new D44 (1977 - 2nd design 3/4-ton) it had a pressed in one that was loose. I liked the way a brass fitting pointed straight up so that is what I used. I haven't messed with the 14B yet as it hasen't come out.

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK how do I get the tube out of the axle???

15. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Big pair of pliars and a twisting motion.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I did the same as mentioned above. I used a 1/8" NPT tap (with some grease on it to catch chips as I did it without changing the fluid). I then bought a 1/8" NPT x whatever barb fitting. I haven't had good luck with the pressed in ones...they just pull out and let water, dirt, and mud in. The tap will set you back about $8 but the fittings are like $.95 You should put one in your tranny as well as they don't come with a vent line (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif).

[/ QUOTE ]
    YUP use a hose barb and small hose clamp for the best sealing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Or like in my case (mine are broke off) you can drill them out. And as mentioned before, put grease on the drill bit to catch the filings.

18. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be gentle...I need that vent tube /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

on my 10bolt I just rebuilt has been drilled out, tapped and has an airbrake fitting, I just used a hose clamp and it works great.

20. 88jimmy4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    on my 10bolt I just rebuilt has been drilled out, tapped and has an airbrake fitting, I just used a hose clamp and it works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

My fronts okay, but after my lift I needed to put a longer vent hose on the rear and went to pull the old hose off and the whole dang tube came out /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif so I need one for the rear. However this is all temporary till I find a 14 bolt to swap in like you did Fry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif