Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Searching for 6 lug 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bluejeep, Mar 7, 2005.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

A while back I came across somebody's webshots of a 6 lug 14ff they had done, retaining the 14ff's drum brakes. It was on a K5 blazer. Does anybody have these pics or a link to these pics? Tried searching with no luck.

Going to try to put a 14ff in the Suburban, and since there isn't a good way to change the front over to 8 lug I'm looking to change the rear over to 6 lug. I'm not interested in Grady's hubs or anything like that. I have a machinist lined up to do it, just need to provide him specs and/or pics of what I want done. I also want to keep the 13" drums for e-brake reasons, and because the 13" drums are pretty darn good at stopping a big heavy truck pulling a trailer.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  2. blacksheep10

blacksheep10 Registered Member

i am sorry that I don't have the answer to where the pics of the 6 lug 14 is, but I have to ask what year burb this is. If it is under 91, why is it hard to make the front 8 lug? Should be really really easy to do with some new hubs/rotors/wheels. Just a thought

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look in the for sale section. I think that guy is selling the 6lug 14ff your talking about. He's going eight lug now

4. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

It's not under '91, that's why it's not easy. It's a '99.

I'll check the FS board now.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Haha, ah yes, the super-rare 6 lug 14 boult FF

here's a pic of mine...
    [​IMG]

6. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

There we go.

More pics/details please B_to_C!! What hub diameter did you use, 4.20"? Did you have to bore the center of those wheels any?

BTW, the one in the FS section is using spacer/adapters, and I'm looking to modify the stock hubs with no spacer.

7. B_to_C

I am using adapters. 4.20" sounds familiar, but i don't remember the exact diameter the hub was machined down to, sorry. And yes the wheels had to be clearanced a little too -but to do that I just took a 3" grinder wheel around the inside of the hole, only needed to take a little off. Those 13" brakes really do kick ass at stopping though, I love 'em.

8. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

Is there plenty of room to get a socket on your lugs? Did you have to remove two of your studs to run the spacers?

9. B_to_C

It looks real tight, but I have no problem getting those lugs off, and yes you have to remove two of the studs to run the adpaters. Here is a view from the back

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  10. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

11. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I have adapters too ToneyP made them idk if he does it anymore but all I had to do with have the hubs turned down and dident bore the wheel at all but it is REALLY tight I also stuck disk breaks on. I just think its a good idea...

12. B_to_C

I love my setup. I would have probably done the 8-lug swap if I had had the time though, but as it was I was rushed to get this rear axle in. But I don't have any ill effects to report :)

And btw my adapters are also from TonyP, and AFAIK he is no longer making them.