Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Searching for opinions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K2500, Sep 29, 2000.

1. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

Hi all,
    New to this board. I recently purchased a '78 K5 for cheap.
    The reason it was cheap ( and in my price range ) was that the engine is extremly tired, and the Th350 has fried all the foward clutches. What I would like is your feedback on what you would do for the tranny. I either can rebuild the auto. Dont really want to, but it would be the cheaper way to go. Or I have a Sm465 w/NP205 combo I could stuff in. Finding a hyd. bellhouseing has been a pain, but I did find one with slave and master in tact. As for the pedals, the local junkyard has a '84 K5 I can get all the esintals out of. I have been asking everyone I can think of on this. I would appriecate (spelling?) all opinions.
    Thanks Dawayne.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm sure a few people will disagree with me, but I have the SM465/NP 205 combo in my truck and I love it. First of all it is bulletproof and the rest is personal preference. I like a standard transmision (control freak?) some people prefer an automatic. It sounds like you have already decided to install the manual (if you were'nt sure why bother hunting down the bell-housing?)[​IMG]
    The only sore point on my truck is the lack of a hydraulic clutch set-up, its kinda hard to drive in heavy traffic. I'm on the lookout for a similar bell-housing that you found with the hydraulic set-up, I've driven one with the hydraulic clutch and there is no comparison.
    Also the NP 205 can be converted to a twin stick set-up similar to an Atlas (separate controls for front and rear wheel drive as well as hi and lo range) and it can also be mated with a doubler box for a killer low range.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I agree with the 465 choice. It is a nuisance in traffic and sometimes the wide ratio is a pain reaching for third on a hill, but it is a real truck tranny. STRONG. And a dream on steep downhills. When the battery gets tired, just a little push and you're off. I looked for two years to find a factory stick and it was worth it. I haven't done a conversion, but understand the pedal installation isn't easy. The advise I got was to figure on just tearing out the whole dash right from the beginning. Good Luck!

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I guess allI would ask is what are you going to be doing with the truck,Show/Shine, Mud, Rocks, HARDCORE ROCKS???? In my opinion I dont think I would ever want a standard tranny out on the rocks. Some of the places that I have been in my K5 I dont think I could have done with a standard. Now I stress "I" in that last sentence. I personaly dont want to have to deal with a clutch out on the trail, GOD, I have a hard enoughe time trying to walk and chew gum!! Seriously, if your on the rocks and you are carberated, then unless you have the perfect carb, you will be killing it a lot. That means starting it alot, that means lots of clutch work, or hard starts with the clutch not engaged. It is just a lot harder, and takes very serious skills. You asked for opions, and there is NO WAY iI would go back to a standard for the stuff that I do in mine. Hope this helps. HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

[​IMG]
    http://dblazer.coloradok5.com

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Gotta agree with DBlazer. I used to drive nothing but standards. But my last 2 rigs have been autos and I like them better. Espically when the going is slow and the rocks are tall. I know I'll catch some heat for this, but I think the 700r4 in my 89 is one of the best all around trannys I have ever had.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know it comes down to personal choice on the manual vs. auto here but I never had a problem wheeling on the rocks with the manual, maybe if I was in high range but in low range my foot is never on the clutch. Maybe I just have'nt found big enough rocks yet [​IMG], but I've found it will crawl up and over most anything at idle in first gear low range.

Rene

[​IMG]

7. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

You got me. I do want to put the sm465 in. I have my K2500 with that combo in it, and have yet to hurt it. You get the extream rock crawlers and they all tell me an auto is the only way to go ( no more 3 pedaling ). This blazer will most likely be used on mt trails instead of rocks, but my 4 wheeler group likes to rock crawl also, so sometimes it will see a big rock or two. Also opinions was what I wanted. As far as I see it, if it works for you and does what you want, it cant be wrong. Thanks to all for your info.
    Dawayne