Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sears and Kmart merge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by spoolnaround, Nov 17, 2004.

1. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

2. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I thought K-mart was broke??

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, I should've bought sears. I was just thinking monday I wanted to buy a little stock in a stable company, and I think I even thought walmart/kmart/sears/target. I should've gone with my gut monday and bought sears!

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't call Sears or Kmart "stable". Both are on their way out. What happens when you put to mis-managed companies together?

It's just a matter of time before Wal-Mart takes over the world. [evil laugh]

I own Walmart stock. Target would be my next purchase if I were to buy more retail.

5. semper-k-five

semper-k-five 1/2 ton status

they just said inventories and mgmt will blend...but store names won't change...so yep, looks like craftsman will be sold at KMart....i would think Craftsman will have a say in this though....

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they just said inventories and mgmt will blend...but store names won't change...so yep, looks like craftsman will be sold at KMart....i would think Craftsman will have a say in this though....

[/ QUOTE ]

Like, "Hell Yea"! K mart has 3-4 times the store fronts than Sears. People around here wouldnt have to mail order stuff or drive 30 miles for their tools.

Sears supposedly has a boatload of fat on the top. I think there will be serious re-structuring of Sears. I think its a win win situation for both companies. Sooner or later Wallymart will slow down.
    Nobody around here wants the Super store they want to put in, it will replace the small busnesses with minimum wage jobs.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Attention customers....we are now having a blue light special on all craftsmen tools!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't call Sears or Kmart "stable".

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, stable was the wrong word... Established/well-known was more what I was thinking.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What I dont get is how people think Walmart is such a great place /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Sure it was good back When Sam was still alive and in charge. I liked the fact that He was big on the made in the USA lable. Now it's nothing but a bunch of cheap Chinese trash. Im just glad that there isn't one near Me, cause that place sucks.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

There are a lot of KMarts but I don't know if it is just in my area but they are empty. You go to a walmart any time of day, any day and its busy. Kmarts, doesn't matter when or whatever they are empty. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There are a lot of KMarts but I don't know if it is just in my area but they are empty. You go to a walmart any time of day, any day and its busy. Kmarts, doesn't matter when or whatever they are empty.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats cause Walmart is better at braiwashing the public than Kmart is /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Right, stable was the wrong word... Established/well-known was more what I was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are well-known. They were in the news alot when going thru there bankruptcy.

Established - hmmm - They were established - maybe in the 70's and 80's. I would like to see the number of stores they have closed or sold.

Sears has one product I would go buy from them. That would be Craftsman hand tools- nothing else. You can get every other tool they sell cheaper from somewhere else. And places like Home Depot or Lowes has a better return policy on power tools than Sears does.

There is a reason Kmart went thru the big B(bankruptcy) poor management and no foresight for growth.

Same thing with Sears. They have been on the block for a while. Sales down, earnings down, ect.

Like I said - you merge two smaller companies that are struggling to stay alive in the very competitive retail market and you get the 3rd largest retail company that has twice the headaches and problems.

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It's funny listening to you guys from CA talk about how bad Wally World is. Talk about brain washed. The unions out there have you all brain washed.

You tell me about these minimum wage jobs. How much should the person stocking the shelves or scanning the products make?

Hard work pays off! I worked minimum wage when I was in my teens. I also put myself thru college on that job.

Those types of jobs are not permanant. I mean you start out at minimum wage and then you grow from there - if you bust your butt. Nothing is free in this world. You have to work for what you get. Unless your a liberal and believe taking money from those who do work is the way to go...

Walmarts marketing is to have the best prices. They have done this not by paying minimum wage, but by great econimies of scale and efficient warehousing, transporting, and control over their inventory.

The up and coming retail company for the 00's (2000's) is Target. I read the other day where there earnings were up 80%. I don't here anyone griping about them and I guarantee they pay their employees less than Walmart. That is a true minimum wage job. Compare them to Walmart. I would bet the average age of the Target employee is upper teens. And the avg age of Walmart employees is at least ten years older...

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's funny listening to you guys from CA talk about how bad Wally World is. Talk about brain washed. The unions out there have you all brain washed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off get You [censored] strait befor You start off with the "you guys from CA" crap /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif If You go back and reread what I wrote you will plainly see that I said they used to have good stuff but not anymore.
    Oh and dont go using the words union and liberal when You refer to Me. Nothing could be more wrong.

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

You stated
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thats cause Walmart is better at braiwashing the public than Kmart is
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a bunch of crap. There is no brain washing going on. Walmart has the best prices and that is what most people are interested. Our society has turned into a throw it away rather than fix it society.

Tell me what they had that was good that they don't now.

I know they used to push made in America, now you would be hard pressed to find anything made in America there or at any retailer.

And CA is a union dominated state. Don't tell me it's not. How much did the food workers union cost the retailers, tax payers, and the end users for there little strike they had?

You may not be liberal, but the unions and the union money have brain washed people using scare tactics. Like you will loose your job or die if you don't support the union. The unions had their place in time and that place is gone now. The unions are why the airlines are in such trouble and look who pays for it. The tax payers who bailed them out via billions to keep them a float.

17. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Only one time have I ever been greated at walmart, also their customer service is horrible. That is my complaint against them.

That is good for San Jose, Gilroy, Stockton, Redding and a few others in Northern CA.

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Tell me what they had that was good that they don't now

[/ QUOTE ]
    More products made here in the States.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I know they used to push made in America, now you would be hard pressed to find anything made in America there or at any retailer.

[/ QUOTE ]
    All the more reason not to spend My money at any of them.
    [ QUOTE ]
    And CA is a union dominated state.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No. The Bay Area and LA is with the major ports and commerce, but the rest of the state is for the most part non-union.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't tell me it's not.

[/ QUOTE ]
    OK, but I just did.
    [ QUOTE ]
    You may not be liberal, but the unions and the union money have brain washed people using scare tactics. Like you will loose your job or die if you don't support the union. The unions had their place in time and that place is gone now. The unions are why the airlines are in such trouble and look who pays for it. The tax payers who bailed them out via billions to keep them a float.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Could You please explain to Me why You are bitching to Me about the unions. I am not a member of one nor do I belive in or support them. As a matter of fact Im a small business owner.

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah , i diddnt hear you say anything about unions either. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif BTW =Go Corey Go, because since all us California Guys think alike , i was thinking you could just post something up for me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah , i diddnt hear you say anything about unions either.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats cause You actually read My post Jake /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    BTW =Go Corey Go, because since all us California Guys think alike , i was thinking you could just post something up for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure thing Jake.
    One thing that pisses Me off is all the Members of this board who are always labelling all of Us as union members/supporters or Democrats/Liberals or environmentalist/Greenies.
    [censored] that I as well as several other California Members of this board are the compleat opposite of that. I also notice that most of the time this labeling comes from those who live in states that are run by Democrates. Pot calling Kettle black. Hey if someone wants to live else where thats fine with Me, but dont lable Me just cause I choose to live here. Thats like saying everyone in New York is a Liberal. I think Ratch could prove them wrong.