Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Sears home improvement sucks!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by buckmtn, Oct 15, 2006.

1. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

I get this add in the mail for a free estimate from sears for siding. So I call them up get the estimate and sign a contract. The contractors that come look like they just ran across the boarder from Mexico. One evening after they leave I see they have nailed 2x4 to my roof to work on my upstairs dormors. Didn't think to much of that. Otherwise did a decent job. Now the fun begins. Two days later we have steady rain, next morning I hear drip,drip. Oh Sh#t! I know where that is coming from. I proceed to call multiple times to people at Sears that sound like they are from India or Portugal or some other impoverished nation that has taken all our jobs. No one will call me back. Finally manager tells me that I need to get estimates to get it fixed that is how they handle it. I tell him people that work for him fu@#ed it up and he can make it right. Been almost a week haven't heard anything. To top that off my wife calls me at work Friday and says the transmisson in our durango went out. Great! Always thought sears had good customer service, so far it sucks! (I told the manager at sears that!LOL)

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats why I'm a DIY kind of guy. I know how its going on and who's doing it. Guaranteed no **** ups.

3. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

I normally try to do all those types of things myself also but don't have the time to tackle a project like that with out it taking a year. My house would not have been easy for first timer either.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The first time I did siding on my own home, I found it to be one of the easiest things I did to improving the appearance of the house.
    Its so easy to do, a kid can do it. Just like snap together model or puzzles. Just need a hammer, nails, tape measure, pencil, tin snips, level, etc. Very easy to do.
    Depending on the size of your house, if its smaller, it won't take long to do at all.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Sears = retail store... would you hire K-Mart to revamp your electrical system? i didnt think so.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pimps...

Sears and many other stores are just pimps for contractors--you'd be better off just calling the roofers listed in the yellow pages directly..most contractors get higher rates when Sears sends jobs to them..I don't think they do much background checks on the contractors they use,after reading some of the stories in local papers here..

I try to do all my own repairs--that way if it comes out wrong,I'm the only one to blame!..but I don't think I'd shingle a roof--I don't know how,and I am not good on a ladder or at dealing with heights!...I have a few friends I trust that are general contractors,they get my work if I feel unqualified..and they don't hire crackheads or illegals to do the work,and just rake in the cash like many here do...it's a crap shoot as far as getting what you paid for when it comes to home repairs...:crazy:

7. buckmtn

buckmtn 1/2 ton status

If I had a standard ranch home it would not have been to bad. I have a cape cod style house with many angles, also the bottom of my house is angled style block to look like siding which all needed to shimd out and stripped. Plus I don't hardly have time to get my grass mowed right now. Lowes and Home Depot all install siding they just subcontract out the work. Sears=Craftsman tools return and replace no questions asked. I had a random small time guy do my roof for a good price five years ago. He said he would warranty the work for ten years. Two years later he dies of cancer at 45, there went my warranty. So I thought when I had my siding done I would go with a company that has been around a long time and I have a lifetime waranty on the siding and the install.