Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat belt housing bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Aug 25, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Trying to take off the housings that the front seat belts retract into so I can remove the rear inside carboard panels that are shot. What do I need to get that bolt out that holds the housing??? Is it a torx???
    Thanks in advance! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Yes it is a torx, but i'm not sure on the size. If I remember when I get home, I'll look to see and post up again... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

If my memory is correct... yes it is a torx and they can be a total PITA. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a T 50 torx ......anyauto parts will have it

5. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Torx...T-55 IIRC. Get a good hardened one or it'll look like a piece of red liquorice after you twist it,break it off, bash your knukles then bleed all over it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    twist it,break it off, bash your knukles then bleed all over it

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Wow, you got that right...you've just summed up all my experiences working on vehicles in 13 words. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh, and to answer the question, it's a torx bit. You'll be able to find that at an auto parts store like someone stated above or an Ace Hardware if one's closer than the parts house.

7. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like that bolt is a real pia to get off. Is it worth taking it off or should I just tear the paneling off around it and then fish out the rest of the paneling from behind it w/ some tools...picks, screwdrivers, hammers, etc??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't know what year they went to what sizes, but the '80's seat belts bolts are t-47's.

People can disagree all they want, but I've cross-referenced the GM part number with one of their suppliers, and it's a t-47.

You can probably force a T-50 in one with a hammer, or if it's rusty or stripped already, but it's a t-47 later on. That's why they MAKE a t-47.

9. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm hearing 3 different sizes. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dorian, it's a 77. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong...is the t-47 for 80 and up??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Or are you saying you xrefed it and it is a t-47 for sure?

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What I'm saying is that I know for a fact '81-up are t-47's.

This is a typical problem though, as torx itself was probably an anti-tamper bolt, so earlier COULD have been a t-50, then when that got "popular" they came out with the odd t-47 that is more difficult to get. (usually)

Do you not have an auto parts store that sells them in the single container that will let you check it to make sure it fits/works? Of course the "cheapy" ones can break, as the bolts are typically really rusted in there, but most of the time the chain auto store tools are "lifetime warranty".

I'd just say buy whatever fits correctly in your case. Sorry I can't be more precise, I haven't checked on the earlier ones to see what size GM actually says they are.

11. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, gotcha, Dorian. Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Guess I'll use ye old trial and error method, ie buy the t-50, t-55 and t-47 and return the two the don't work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

PB blaster, soak the threads form underneath cab floor, you will be glad you do this first, for a day or so.