Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat belt law question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Aug 1, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Scroll to the bottom to read the question.

For refernce, here is the Illinois seat belt law:

(625 ILCS 5/12‑603) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑603)
    Sec. 12‑603. Seat safety belts.
    (a) No person shall sell any 1965 or later model motor vehicle of the first division unless the front seat of such motor vehicle is equipped with 2 sets of seat safety belts. Motorcycles are exempted from the provisions of this Section.
    (b) No person shall operate any 1965 or later model motor vehicle of the first division that is titled or licensed by the Secretary of State unless the front seat of such motor vehicle is equipped with 2 sets of seat safety belts.
    (b‑5) No person under the age of 18 years shall operate any motor vehicle, except a motor driven cycle or motorcycle, with more than one passenger in the front seat of the motor vehicle and no more passengers in the back seats than the number of available seat safety belts, except that each driver under the age of 18 years operating a second division vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,000 pounds or less that contains only a front seat may operate the vehicle with more than one passenger in the front seat, provided that each passenger is wearing a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt.
    (c) (Blank).
    (d) The Department shall establish performance specifications for seat safety belts and for the attachment and installation thereof.
    (Source: P.A. 89‑120, eff. 7‑7‑95; 90‑89, eff. 1‑1‑98; 90‑369, eff. 1‑1‑98; 90‑655, eff. 7‑30‑98.)

(625 ILCS 5/12‑603.1) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑603.1)
    Sec. 12‑603.1. Driver and passenger required to use safety belts, exceptions and penalty.
    (a) Each driver and front seat passenger of a motor vehicle operated on a street or highway in this State shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt; except that, a child less than 6 years of age shall be protected as required pursuant to the Child Passenger Protection Act. Each driver under the age of 18 years and each of the driver's passengers under the age of 18 years of a motor vehicle operated on a street or highway in this State shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt. Each driver of a motor vehicle transporting a child 6 years of age or more, but less than 16 years of age, in the front seat of the motor vehicle shall secure the child in a properly adjusted and fastened seat safety belt.
    (b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply to any of the following:
    1. A driver or passenger frequently stopping and

leaving the vehicle or delivering property from the vehicle, if the speed of the vehicle between stops does not exceed 15 miles per hour.
    2. A driver or passenger possessing a written

statement from a physician that such person is unable, for medical or physical reasons, to wear a seat safety belt.
    3. A driver or passenger possessing an official

certificate or license endorsement issued by the appropriate agency in another state or country indicating that the driver is unable for medical, physical, or other valid reasons to wear a seat safety belt.
    4. A driver operating a motor vehicle in reverse.
    5. A motor vehicle with a model year prior to 1965.
    6. A motorcycle or motor driven cycle.
    7. A motorized pedalcycle.
    8. A motor vehicle which is not required to be

equipped with seat safety belts under federal law.
    9. A motor vehicle operated by a rural letter

carrier of the United States postal service while performing duties as a rural letter carrier.
    (c) Failure to wear a seat safety belt in violation of this Section shall not be considered evidence of negligence, shall not limit the liability of an insurer, and shall not diminish any recovery for damages arising out of the ownership, maintenance, or operation of a motor vehicle.
    (d) A violation of this Section shall be a petty offense and subject to a fine not to exceed $25.
    (e) (Blank).
    (f) A law enforcement officer may not search or inspect a motor vehicle, its contents, the driver, or a passenger solely because of a violation of this Section.
    (Source: P.A. 93‑99, eff. 7‑3‑03.)

Here is the line I don't understand:
    Where can I find these "performance specifications"? The law says nothing about having to have shoulder belts. Is there a cetain year that shoulder belts became federally mandated safety equipment?

:confused:

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My take on seat belt laws; Just wear the damn things and you don't have too worry about a ticket. I don't even think about it anymore, it's just habbit too click it now.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I really don't want this to turn into a wear it/don't wear it arguement, I've read many of them in the past, yet none of them has convinced me that wearing my seat belt is good for anyone other than our Governor.

All I need to know is how I can find out if shoulder belts are mandatory. And maybe find out info like if big brother has mandated air bags or if the auto makers decided on their own it would be a good idea.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not sure, but if it came with it from the factory, might as well wear it, if it didn't come from the factory with it, I don't think there is much they can say.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Air bags have been mandated, as have shoulder belts(since 1969 I believe). If it came with it, it must have at LEAST what it came with. if it came with a shoulder belt, all you can do is change to 5 point(upgrade never downgrade). Thats how it is in PA I know, don't believe its any different anywhere else. Ugh, airbags were mandated in.... 1998 I believe. Auto manufacturers likely didn't fight it. I mean, its an easy way for them to increase the crash rating of their vehicles without much if at all changing it. And its big money to replace them after they go off(all the sensors have to be replaced as well as the unit in the steering wheel which is almost a grand in some cases).

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My '72 C10 is factory with just a lap belt, so it may be at some time after that.

And you make me think of another question I have always wondered. What does it take to set off an airbag? Would it pop out if I hit a dog? A deer?

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That;s my understanding here also. And airbags in my Burb would scare me, I don't know what it would take to set them off and don't want to find out, but I'm sure that I have done it on the trail.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My friend has a '96 Z71 that he jumps in the sand dunes and he's always afraid of the air bag when his truck hits nose first...

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:eek: :eek: I would have to take it out to do that.

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i wasnt aware that a shoulder belt was law. i know a lap is, and back seats dont need shoulder belts. my cousin's 79' jeep was a lap belt. sounds kinda tricky it would take an A$$H()!# of a cop looking to mess with ya, i would say.

i would upgrade not down though, unless ure looking to mod the frame so ure shoulder belt wont work right. lap better then nothing. but there is a reason they went to shoulder ones, to many abdominal and back injurys :(

11. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

the way it is in MY state :

if your vehicle is old enough itcame with NO seatbelts : no seatbelts required

if it only has lapbelt : only lapbelt required

if it has the seperate lap/shoulder belts : both required

if you mess up and upgrade any of these to modern belts : required to wear

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok, 68 was front seat belt requirements, shoulder belts was 1973. Things like trucks and jeeps may have not fallen under the guideline. I know trucks were exempt from some of the airbag stuff.

There are a few ways to set off an air bag, it doesn't take a whole liot, I will go get my folder soon and let you know. There ARE inertial sensors that if you stop too quickly the sensor can "ramp up" a little ramp and set it off. Not sure if everything has those. You will see them along the frame rails up by the bumper on newer Chevy trucks.

oh here is where I got the 68 and 73 notes http://www.aa1car.com/library/timeline.htm

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just having bought our first vehicle with air bags I was curious too. I eventuall found in the owners manual that it takes a 17 mph impact to set them off. At 17 mph they do not go off a 100% force, but by a 29 mph impact they are at 100%. Side impacts do not set off the air bags.

Those impact numbers are for fairly immobile objects, cars, trees, etc etc. A dog i don't think would set them off, but a deer might depending on where it hits the vehicle and how fast you're going.

Rene

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I think I may understand what you guys are saying. The airbag will pop out from a quick reduction in speed (accident), but possibly not from an impact (deer) where the vehicle doesn't actually lose much speed? I guess I need to go check out howstuffworks.com and read up a bit...

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Most won't set off if the hit is beyond 30* from the centerline of the car(where the start point is for this I don't know). Basically anything within the front bumper. Though I hit a telephone pole at about 20mph with the bumper on my dad's F250, and that bag never went off. In hindsight I could have probably sued, but not my style and who knows how it works.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd bet it was very close to going off though...maybe one or two mph more and it would have. :dunno:

Rene

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Right, and as I research it, it seems they have been a standard in the auto industry not by big brother. I swore thats what I was taught, but I slept through half of that lecture.

18. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

Seatbelts and food for Thought

Divorced,
    I don't know why you don't want to wear your seatbelt, but I can assure you that your governor has more important things to worry about than one individual trying to eliminate themselves from the gene pool.

The seatbelt standard along with the performance figures for seatbelts are held by the Federal Governement. The states write laws that enforce this standard. The feds require this by what I call head-gun choice. It is real simple they can say you don't have to wear seatbelts, but then they don't get federal monies for highways. The standards for seatbelts are primarily driven and modified by consensus from the Society of Automotive Engineers and the National Highway Safety thingie ma bob and the Automotive Insurance Institute thingy ma bob.

Why is seatbelt use required? Real Simple. The roughly 10 years the US was in vietnam a little less than 60,000 Americans died there. That same time period more than 600,000 people died on america's highways. Seatbelts save lives period. I do tactical safety for the military and there are a few things I harp on to troops deploying to Irag: Wear all your armor (common sense), Wear your ballistic Eye wear(Common Sense), maintain gun barrel discipline (common sense), drink water (common sense), and always wear your seatbelt. I always hear comments like:"I can't engage the enemy fast enough" "I can't dismount fast enough" We have more troops die in their vehicle because of not wearing their seatbelt than all the other reasons put together.

Seat belts don't prevent accidents they just help your odds alot, so much that if I could find an equivalent to seatbelts I would probably play the lottery.

Just food for thought.

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

And for anyone wondering about my motive - I have an old '79 Ford with shoulder belts that don't work. I have never worn my seatbelts in the past but have recently began to. I have a set of lap belts I could use but don't want to put them in if a shoulder belt is mandatory.

20. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

I have a 73 model(10/72) one ton that only has lap belts. does any one know if it didnt apply to "light trucks" till a later date or if it was based on GVW? or maybe required on vehicles produced after 12/31/72?