Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat belt / offroading ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1badv10, Aug 21, 2004.

1. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

ok the ? is how do i keep the frigg'n seat belt from squeezing the life out of me while going over rough terrain? i know a while back i saw a gizmo that prevented the belt from going back into the ratchet... just wondering if anyone has made a fix for this or have any ideas /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.. thanks guys

2. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Ok , Someone please help him out cuz that seat belt sux ass , He took me with him once in his truck and jesus I was getting cut in half! It just kept getting tighter and tighter till I was blue (consider that I am Black).

Anyway Help!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All GM seat belts do this.....it sucks. There really is no solution unless you swap to harnesses, which isn't such a bad idea if you ask me.

4. 1badv10

[ QUOTE ]
    All GM seat belts do this.....it sucks. There really is no solution unless you swap to harnesses, which isn't such a bad idea if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]
    the harness is a good idea but i still dont have the guts to tear up the interior yet to put in buckets.. its in the plans tho.. but i think there is something i can clip right to the belt to keep it from retracting.. anybody else?? thanks.. o and you guys have no idea how funny it is to watch andre (ANDHAR) cry ike a lil girl w/ a skinned knee everytime he sees a good bump coming. funny stuff /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You might try replacing the seatbelt retractor.

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

They have these clips that come with kid car seats that might work, not sure though....

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you went to harnesses, you have to have a cross bar directly behind the seats, shoulder level in order to use them properly. If you mount them to the floor (the top harness mount) it will squeeze your back together in a roll over...

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know, I have a simpson catalog here that has lots of pictures of how to install harnesses.

I'll be installing mine when I put my cage in.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL I know you know tim, I was telling the other guys... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They have these clips that come with kid car seats that might work, not sure though....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, those will work.

11. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

Problem is guys , He is not running a cage and probably wont be anytime soon.

just wants to stop his belts from choking his passengers and himself.

12. 1badv10

alright ill keep my eyes out for those clips. my brother may have something like that laying around. do you think i could pick up something like that in a store?(baby section?)

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

probably by the baby seats /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Vice Grips! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    alright ill keep my eyes out for those clips. my brother may have something like that laying around. do you think i could pick up something like that in a store?(baby section?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, those clips will work. Just ask your wife or GF, or mom etc. to ask her friends relatives etc, if anyone has any old ragged out carseats laying around that they're not going to use and see if you can take em off their hands. It will look like a letter "E" sort of... it will wedge at the slot that the belt retracts into, and stop it.

16. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

put the sholder strap behind you or install lap belts with the factory belts

17. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

WAlmart has them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

jj the lap belt will still crush you even if you have the sholder belt behind you i have the same problem, i think its worse with my burb rides so rough and bounces a lot i am a big guy so when i come bqack down i comperss the seat big time and the belt dosent let go.

and for what ever reason unless i am moveing on very smooth groung i can pull my belt out to put it on i have to stop all the time.

4 or 5 point with the cage, which one gives you more movement? ie. being able to lean out the window a bit?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    4 or 5 point with the cage, which one gives you more movement? ie. being able to lean out the window a bit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither. If you haven't noticed, most of the time if you see someone off road....they've got the shoulder harnesses disconnected for this very reason.

4 and 5 point harnesses are designed to be TIGHT and strap you down so bad it almost hurts to avoid movement. Neither is really going to allow you to look out the window like you want...

Going to harneses is a major trade off that you'll have to decide if it's worth it when you do it.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

harnesses are meant to keep you in. OE seatbelts will just pull out if your upside down, harneses just hold you there until you realease the latching mechanision.