Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat belt question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72blazer4x4, May 5, 2001.

1. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

do i need to have shoulder/lap seat belts if i take my doors off, or can i just use my lap seat belts legally?

jeremy

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

check your local laws but you should be fine with just the lap belt

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here's another question.What will driving around without the doors and top do.Don't the doors play a major supporting roll (literally) when the top is off?

[​IMG]<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

4. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

better question is what about your mirrors? if you remove doors you have no side mirrors and i know at least in california its illeagal to drive without at least two of your mirrors. if mirrors arent a problem i dont think a seat belts will be either.

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The doors don't support the body. They're too weak (look inside - no framing, no impact bars, no nothing!). The rocker boxes support the body when the top's off, but they're marginal at the job. A properly-designed roll cage would be a better bet for supporting the body correctly.

6. 72blazer4x4

72blazer4x4 Registered Member

i have a nice double tube roll bar which i think will do pretty good in a roll over. i was going to relocate the mirrors like how jeeps have them by the windshield. i just didnt want to get pulled over for not having proper seat belts if i happened to be driving from lets say a camp site to a trail.

jeremy

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

As was said before, check your local laws and regulations. It might be legal (also might not be - I know it ain't in the town in which I live), but removing the doors is kind of dangerous, as it gives you a rather large opening through which your arms and even torso can protrude in a wreck. There's a good reason we put window nets in full-bodied race cars.