Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat belt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Jan 17, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I m thinking of up grading my single lap belt to a harness type system i think there is a 5 point harness, is there any thing less? does any one have a link or address for a company carring these. Also can i attach them to the frame i built for the seats. The frame is 2x2x1/4 angle. I feel this would be a strong securement point. If not how else do they install. A regular shoulder belt is out because of the lack of a piller to attach it to.
    thanks.

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Bad thing about those is that they dont retract etc and you cant reach stuff without taking it off. Also make sure that the shoulder straps are mounted at least 2" above you shoulders because the pressure put on your collarbone, during a collision, when they "wrap" around(ie mounted below your shoulders or to the floor) may break it [​IMG]

[​IMG]<pre>It's not broken, it's just being maintained</pre>

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I was going to do 4 points in my 75 but with the kids needing to get in the back a cross bar was not going to work for me. I'm going to mount a set of 3 points like in the newer K5's. I will attach the shoulder point off the hoop on the rolll bar by adding a tab at the correct hight and another tab towards the bottom for the retractor. This is how it is done on Jeeps.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. northgate

northgate Registered Member

You can purchase four or five point harnesses from several manufacturers. Search for a race car parts website and you should be able to find some. If you can, attach the seatbelts to something more structural, like the frame itself. That way if your seat brackets somehow detach you will still be secured to the vehicle in a bad situation (like rolling over).

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Jeeps (at least the 80's CJ's have a threaded insert welded in the vertical part of the main roll bar hoop. This is what we plan to do on my brother's '70, and use Jeep or early 80's Blazer belts, the single retractor style. Yes, 4 or 5 points are safer in a crash, but I rarely see anyone wearing the shoulder straps, most people simply let them hang and wear the lap belt, defeating the purpose of the added safety. I prefer the single retractor vs. the double as the lap belt stays tight, but it still allows upper body movement. I put the shoulder strap behind my back when off road.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't mount the seatbelts to the same frame that the seats are mounted on. In the freak chance that the frame pulls loose from the floor during an accident, the belt would do no good to you except keep you in the seat while flying through the winshield. JMOP.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The law says that the seatbelt cann't use the same mounting point as a seat. I don't remember who posted it but a freind made his crossbar un-bolt to allow his kids to get into the back. if I can get him to send me a pic I'll post it...

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"