Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat belts/ 5 points

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mobile_Mechanic, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Mobile_Mechanic

Mobile_Mechanic Registered Member

Hi all.
    I have a full size pickup and am looking to get some 5 point harnesses. Any one using them? Where should I look to get mine? Ease of install?
    Thanks

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

5 points are not necessary for what we do. Just more trouble. 4 is good though. I don't like the heavy 3" wide "race" harnesses. I don't need restraint in 100 mph+ crashes. So, I got the 2" Corbeau 4 point harness with DOT style easy buckle rather than the standard race contraption. Bill has a nice article on PBB that tells all about them...

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What BadDog said............

5 points are good if you are bouncing around at speed, it's nice being able to stay in the same position but they are just about totally unneccessary when you are creeping.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol who's creeping? I definitely could use some harnesses to hold my skinny ass in when I'm valve-floating through the woods. I am not going to get them until I get rid of my bench seat though.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally run 3" racing style lap belts in my truck. I find them to be much more comforable then the stock lap belt and cross belt. I was thinking about using the 4 or 5 point belts but decided against it.

I talked with a few more "dedicated" "heavy" offroaders and they said that on the trail the 4 and 5 points get in the way. You need to lean out the window or door as you line up on a obsticle. They said that a good lap belt that is one of the better options for moderate offroading. They also said that because of the restriction of movement by the 4 and 5 point belts you tend to take the shoulder belts off and just run the lap belt anyway.

I imagine if you do alot of full throttle mud or sand running where technicality on an obsticle isn't your concern then a good 4 point would work well.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have a pair of 5-point harnesses in my rig. The submarine strap isnt installed yet, but once I get around to getting my seats mounted exactly how I want them, it will be. I wont use it when I wheel or toodle around town... but when Im going 65-70 on the freeway for long stretches, I'll put it on. Cant hurt and ya never know when you just might get in a heinous end-over-end roll/crash at freeway speeds. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif As far as the functionality of a harness when wheelin, the only problem I have with it is because my seats lean a little to far back on my rig right now. Once I fix them so I sit up nice and high and a little closer to the steering wheel/instruments, then it'll be fine.

Harnesses are also a little annoying when you wheel with peeps more there for a social gathering than actually wheelin' (ie, they stop every 50 or 100m, everyone gets out, flaps their jibs for a while about nothing important and then gets back in to go). If you actually get in/out with em, then putting the harness on and taking it off all the time gets annoying. Personally, unless I am going to be there 30 mins or more, or I have to go potty, I stay in the drivers seat. I go offroading to DRIVE, not flap my jibs.

j