Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat covers... re revisited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, May 25, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, so I spent a bunch of time scouring for seat covers. I'm talking about cheap seat covers. Or cheap seat skins. In my experience, Wet Okole seat covers aren't very desirable.

My truck now has high back K5 seats in it. They're cloth with a vinyl back. I have no winders in my truck. Wet butts suck.

I'm either looking for an inexpensive seat cover that isn't going to be a nuissance or a new skin. Probably new vinyl skins would work pretty well. But, I have yet to find inexpensive ones. I'm pretty good at skinning seats but I have no spare hogrings right now. I'm not going to buy seat covers or new skins for the same price I can buy inexpensive aftermarket buckets for.

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have these, there are loose fitting with just elastic to hold them, but they keep the the seats dry.

Grant Seat Covers

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, them grant ones are cool. 100% water proof. I used to have pools of water in my seats when my rig sat for a while with no top, and all I had to do was dump the cover out and the seat underneath was fine. They work good if you have drunk friends that puke a lot too. lol! they are also machine washable.

j

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I hate to say it but I bought the "Xbound" covers at Wally World for $20 ea. and they are "almost" waterproof, as in a spilled drink will bead up and sit for a while but if you leave it an hour it starts to soak in. But they look pretty nice and fit good and have pockets and pouches over the back and front. I'm thinking about coating them with that tent waterproofing to get them a little dryer.

Oh yeah, I just put in the old Chevy high back buckets (same as yours) and put these covers on (the plastic racing buckets sucked) and they fit really well.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

wet butts do suck..

When I had the top off my 72 K5 years ago,I'd often have the threat of rain while it was parked at work..I tried draping a tarp over the truck,but that was a PITA and it usually blew off enough to let things get wet anyway,even with bungee cords holding it down...

I used some extra large lawn and garden"hefty" trash bags from a supermarket to cover my seats--they had drawstring "handles" you could tie together to hold them to the seat...they worked pretty well,they are thicker than you think--the hard part was not spilling the puddle of water that formed in the seat onto it when you removed them...I kept a big beach towel or two in the glove box to mop up the excess water before I removed them...

I eventually gave up driving it with the roof off--we dont get enough hot sunny days here to make it worth the hassle of taking it off..nearly every day I drove it ,the hot sunny mornings would brew an afternoon thunderstorm with high winds..after going home in a monsoon with lightning bolts crackling all around me,my desire for a convertible wasn't so great... :frown1: :tongue1:

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Saw some neoprene ones last night at Sam's club for about $25.00 each.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So, I bought one of the charcoal gray Grant seat covers because at the time that was the only ones Summit didn't have backordered. I wanted blue so I only bought one and figured I'd give to to my Dad for his Heep.

Well, they don't come with a strap to hold them into the seam between the back and the bottom. Since the cover is borderline too small it pretty much leaves the entire side of the seat uncovered. Unless I find a good way to hold the seat cover into the "crotch" of the seat they'll be pretty much worthless because of the gaping open area.

For $25/cover I'm not sure they're worth it for high back K5 seats.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about getting a pair of stock K5 vinyl highbacks? That's what I have in my '90 and all I have to do is wipe off the water and they are ready to go.

9. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The $20 "neoprene" ones from costco work alright for teh price.

10. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

just wondering, but why havent i seen any mustang seats mentioned on this site? they are the most comfortable stock seats i have ever sat in and there are plenty of them. alot of them came in vinal too. that would make the ride better and you would just need to wipe them off with a towel when there wet...

11. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I got mine used from a guy i know Duck Unlimited Shadow Grass pattern. I get they were 60 new he said, but they are completly water proof, i like them alot, i dont know how many times ive pulled them out to wash off pop or other beverage from people who simply refuse to use cup holders