Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat fabric is growing mold in storage, help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 15, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhh well it had bene 100% hot and dry no rain for a long ass time and well ever since that damn freakin hurricane came into the gulf we ben getting rain for like the first time this year up here and freaking humidity is 96% now its wet heavy ass air, well i have a couple firebird back bucket seat bottoms in storage and they are black fine cloth and i see that they are growing light colored mold all over them

ineed to stop that quickly they are for my 82 trans am project they are decent shape ones alot better shape than the ones original to the car

i have some tuff stuff foam aerosol spray cleaner for vinyl and fabric and such, would that be a good idea or what should i do to kill and remove the mold

i think id be better off with them in plastic bags and out in the car instead of in here where its literally just like basement cool and damp and dank and dark mostly all year round cuz it is 4 foot underground down here this part of the building

but now i have to clean and dry them somehow first, before putting them in plastic
    and i dont want to make it worse than they already are with all the mold growing on them,

ideas ?

thanks

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If your mall has a "as seen on tv" store , maybe they have that thingy I saw awhile back , the one that was like a food saver but did big things like blankets etc , big stuff . Just stick the seat pieces in a bag and vacuum the air out .

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mold sux...

We have a similar climate here --the muggy weather in the summer makes a lot of things turn moldy and mildewey..even the paint on our house has had mildew growing on it...seats and furniture seem to get the worst of it...

You could dampen a towel with some Clorox bleach and wipe the mold off,to kill the spores,then follow it with a water soaked rag,and let the seats air dry out in the sun if possible--sun kills mold and mildew--they need cool damp and dark conditions to grow..dont get too crazy with the bleach,it could turn the seats white or damage the vinyl if you use too much...spray them with Lysol after they are clean and dry...that will help slow down its return...

I'd store them in an attic,not in the basement--the basement is ideal conditions for growing mold and mildew(and mushrooms!)..and putting them inside a plastic bag and sealing it tight might encourage "sweating" and cause even more mold--its ok to slip a bag over them to keep dust off,but dont tie them shut--let air in so they can breathe!..

Right now I have 2 bucket seats on shelves in my shop--no mold,since they are close to the ceiling and its HOT up there!--but a bench seat a few feet away on the floor smells like gym socks and has mold all over the vinyl!..another seat in the house garage is starting to get spots on it already,and its only been there about a month or so,since I removed it when I scrapped the truck it was in!...sigh...cant keep anything here more than a few months before it turns to SH**!... :doah: :( :mad:

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

craft store usuall sells desicant, clean em bag em with that stuff in it, throw a mothball in if u like just in case

5. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

second on the desicant. larger sizes are available for gun safes or small closets.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the attic gets really super hot its not ventilated right and its huge its 15 foot a side times two and is 6 foot tall in center from ceiling to roof peak vertically, and is 102 foot long, its an old nursing home building here,

dessicant, hum, will have to try and find that, somewhere somehow

some good info in here, i think i got it all planned out what i need to do, kill the mold and sun them and go from there :D

thanks
    :D