Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nemesis_pyros, May 5, 2005.

1. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

I got a pair of '77 blazer/jimmy front seats for 30 bucks and was wondering if they are the simular to '88 seats. My Jimmy had the seats swaped out for some non folding ones :angry1: by the previous owner. So my question is will i be able to bolt these seat up to the stock holes, if not can i just drill new holes, or do I have to make brackets to position them right?

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i had 77 seats in my 84., and it was kinda rickety. The latch on the passenger side wasnt the same. so it was permantley unlatched. always flopping around unless someone was sittin in it. I think most of the holes lined up... thats just my expirience... went and bought some Beard buckets, no lookin back :P

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Try using the brackets off your 88, and bolting your 77 seats to them... that might be an idea.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, swap brackets if possible. '88's are tilt/slide, the floor is totally different between the newer ('86-ish) and older seats, at least the passenger side.

5. nemesis_pyros

ya I would bolt the 77 seats to the 88 bracket but I don't have the 88 brackets the PO wasn't smart enough to bolt the new seats to the old brackets. So i'm stuck with 2 seats that don't move forward very well thats why I bought the 77 seats at least one will flip forward properly. I would really like to get a set of flip and slide seats but fullsize Jimmys are kinda rare around here. I did get all the brackets for the 77 seats including the part of the latch that bolts to the floor. So I guess I should just position them where it feels comfy and bolt em down.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Was that bar that is in the floor for the passenger seat bolted in on the earlier trucks? I know my floor is welded together in that area on my '86 tub. ('86 was a transition year, thus why I don't have the superior sliding seats. :()

7. nemesis_pyros

I dunno what my floor looks like under the thick rubber thats covering it. I do know that the PO put in new floor but i think he just covered what was left of the old one with metal. When I look underneath the truck the front part of the floor is flat and you can see pieces of the rotted out old floor hanging.

8. hank14

hank14 Registered Member

Has anyone installed newer seats? I'm looking for some 2000 and up manual Silverado Buckets and center console with integrated seatbelts, to replace my mushy stock seats. I also need new seat belts, so I thought I could do both at once, I just don't know if they're compatible.

9. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

I just pulled some seat brackets today at Pull n Save. I have a 74 and pulled the brackets from a 76. There is no bar in the floor for the passenger side in K-5's for these years. It is a bracket that sits above the floor, and is bolted down. I was poking around in a k-5 that I don't remember the year but it had the earlier style front fenders. It had the bar in the floor, not sure if it was welded or not. I didn't spend much time since somebody left there scivies in there with a big skid mark.

10. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

I'll buy the driver's side bracket if you decide not to use it.........

11. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Done that.
    [​IMG]

Not to hard to do, but you will need to ditch the tracks from the earlier seats. The 00' and up silverado seats have pretty tall tracks. I sat mine on the floor without anything and it was just the right hieght. Spent an afternoon with some 2" wide flat stock and a handfull of grade 8 bolts and bolted them in. I had to make brackets to bolt the seat to and then bolt the brackets to the stock mounting holes in the floor for the original seats.

Couple of side notes though. You do loose the tilt forward feature on the passenger side stock seat. Not a big deal as the seat slides pleanty forward and with the back tilted forward too, there is pleanty of room for a kid to crawl in (full size adults take a little more effort). Another issue is on the 73-77 K5's without the rear footwell that the later k5's have. It does prohibit how far back the Silverado seats can slide back. But I'm 6'1" and the seat is far enough back for me. Later K5's will have a lot of room with these seats all the way back.

One thing to offset the loss of the tilt forward feature on the passenger side would be to find a set of seats out of a 99 silverado extended cab with only the 3rd door option. They had a quickrelease feature that tilted the seatback forward and slid the seat forward all in one motion.

Mine are manual, but if you want to get fancy and suff the 8way power leather seats with fanny cookers (seat heaters) are the same to mount as the manual ones I did. Seat heaters might make an open top ride in the spring snow a lot more bearable.