Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat suggestions/pics needed

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gjk5, Jun 16, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have the crappy hard plastic racing seats in the 72', I also have a factory set in great condition in the parts 72', but I don't really like either one.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of donor vehicle has some good seats for a 72' that will fit easily and still fold forward (both sides preferrably)? I am planning on just going down to the salvage yard and pulling some. I've looked into the Corbeaus and things like that, but I can think of better things to spend $500 on for the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway, I am thinking maybe an s-10 blazer or jimmy will have the folding seats (if it's 2 door) but I want to have as many options as possible before going down there and screwing around.

Any pointers/pics or just ideas/stories on this general topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. a good portion of the reason for this is to get my wife into the 72" (she still won't even sit in it), so I will be looking for mostly late model donors.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bought some new reclining high back seats from a van conversion shop. They were 119 each and I got to choose the color, not alot to choose from but still..
    This is the only pic I could find online...
    [​IMG]
    Back vynal sides with grey cloth.
    Good luck

3. cajun72blazer

cajun72blazer Registered Member

4. mudslinger97116

mudslinger97116 1/2 ton status

i would sell the factory seats if you realy dont want them people are allways looking for them.then buy a set of coushend racing seats.i have apc cheapies from g.i.joes real comfy i'm a bit big for them though /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.i put in a cage so they don't tilt anymore.i have some pics below i think.i org. had them in the jimmy and reused the tilt brackets.good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Keep in mind, that the "flip forward" concept is only half the problem.

The other half will be keeping the headrests from your "new" seats from going through with windshield.....

The only reason the factory seat can flip the way it does is because it's a low-back design. If you start messing around with a full height seat, or even a seat with a longer back-rest area you are going to have interferences with the dash/windshield.

Personally, I don't like the look of "modern" seats in a classic 1st Gen...but if you do, you are probably going to need to accept that your final solution will end up being a "tilt forward" vs. a "flip forward"..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I see what you mean, a seat that both folds and slides forward as opposed to just flipping or pivoting from one set point. that's part of the problem now is the hard racing buckets hit the roll cage and do not go forward enough for a large person to get in back, even without the cage they would only go 3" further. The only thing I have against the factory seats is no bolsters on sides and lap belt only and I guess no head rest. Oh and all vynil kind of sucks when it's 100 degrees.

Thanks for all the suggestions (and pics), I think for the time-being maybe the factory seats with some cloth covers will do the trick and just keep my eyes open for the perfect solution, anything has to be better than these hard seats with the scorching vinyl cover.

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I put seats from a mid 80's Camaro in mine and built a frame under the seat to mount to the floor and to raise the seat. These dont fold forward though, only slide forward and the back tilts. They are very comfortable and give good support on the trail in off camber situations /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

heres looking from the back side...and the rear brackets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I bought a set of '02 silverado seats off ebay and mounted them in my blazer. The installation was very easy and only took about an hour and a half from start to finish. The seat back tilts forward and the the whole seat slides forward to allow access into the back.

Evan

10. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

At one time I had purchased (from ebay $160.00 to my door) a pair of Chevy van seats -- only problem they were to narrow to handle the tracks and lean forward brackets from my stock seats. I've since sold them and gone back to stock ---- so my advice is measure where your brackets will need to go and be sure you "new" seats are wide enough. Good luck

11. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

nice ride there...I like the color /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

TonyP - I just couldn't bring myself to go back with my stock "baby poop" yellow when I painted it last summer.....

13. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first K5 was a 72. It had seats from a Subaru Brat. I liked them quite abit. I'm planning on Captin swivel buckets from a conversion van for my 76 K5.

15. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

i felt the same...I went with the Hummer Yellow

16. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Tony,
    Where'd you get that clamp on shoulder seat belt bracket?
    I gots to get me one!...or two. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    Jeff

17. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Jeff,
    If your adding belts to both seats then you need 4 clamps. I made them /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif to fit my roll-bar and have retractable 3 point seat belts.

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TonyP - I just couldn't bring myself to go back with my stock "baby poop" yellow when I painted it last summer.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, easy there, I'm still straight "baby poop" yellow on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And TonyP, give up a link for those seat belt brackets.

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I made the brackets, heres some pic's...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but where's the link to buy them? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Surely you could profit from such a product. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif