Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat swaps for 91 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tch777, Feb 3, 2005.

1. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Okay I have searched and all I really find is seat swaps for Blazers.
    I have a bench in my Sub that is broken down and very uncomfortable. We have a 1000+ mile trip coming up and we are taking the Suburban. I need new seats in 2 weeks. I want either a 40/ 20 / 40 split bench or 2 buckets and a seat console.

First are there any of the newer pick up or Yukon / Tahoe seats that I can swap in with minimal fabrication, ie only like an extra hour or two of fitting.

If not what are some aftermarket seats that are really comfy and cost less than a 1000.00? And where did you get them?

Thanks

Tim

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Get the seats from another Burb... otherwise the tracks are different. The bench trucks are missing the front inboard mounting tower that protrudes off the floor.

Bend some 1"x1/4" flat bar into a "7" shape. Drill a hole near the bottom of the 7, bolt it to the front, inboard, mounting point on the seat so the top part of the 7 is touching the floor. Bolt the seat in and weld the bracket to the floor.

I got my buckets from a regular cab, so I had to fuss around a whole bunch more to make them fit... would have been nice to have had the Burb tracks.

Here's how they turned out in my crewcab:
    [​IMG]

I worked with a guy that put '95 buckets in his '87 K30. He spent *days* hacking and fabbing the new style tracks to make them work. Its the hump under the seat that makes putting other seats in so difficult. The newer trucks have a flat floor.

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got 2002 Silverado Buckets in my K5. Went in with minimal fabrication. Super comfy and integrated 3 point seatbelts. On the sub, you have a flat floor like the K5's do so you won't be battling the hump in the floor the trucks have.

Basically, all I had to do was fab up some brackets to bolt to the sliverado seat tracks that had the right holes and spacing to be bolted into the stock K5 seat holes in the floor. Took a about 3 hours per side, but I was using only hand tools and took my sweet time.

Here are a couple of links to some pics (MSN won't allow remote linking):

http://groups.msn.com/RobsChevyStable/newblazerpictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=98

http://groups.msn.com/RobsChevyStable/newblazerpictures.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=99

Note that the late model Silverado/Tahoe/Sub seats don't need any shimming to make them sit higher. I thought they would at first but when you start measuring, the seat tracks on the new seats are tall enough to make it sit at the same level as the old seats.

As for price, well below $1000 at boneyards. Dad and I picked up a pair of Power seats for his silverado for $300 at Daurio auto/truck here in Pueblo. I got his manual seats when he upgraded! Manual seats could go for less.

Comfort is great. I've logged many miles in my K5 since I've installed them and never get tired of them. Even on the trail for 3 hours up and down they still don't give me the pain in the rear feeling the old seats did. No they are not Recaro's or Sparco's but for the money, they are dang nice. Better than the stockers!

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

caddilac style!

I put a six way power leather bench seat out of an eldorado in my 72 K5 many years ago,it was in a 71 suburban I bought for parts--best upgrade I did to the truck in the 8 years I owned it!--it fit really good,I did have to fab my own brackets and drill a few holes,but it was done in a few hours on a saturday afternoon...

My 74 K20 has 2 bucket seats from a mercury topaz in it,I unbolted the tracks from the original bench seat,bolted them back into the truck,and made a rectangular frame of angle iron from an old bed frame,and bolted it too the tracks,then bolted the seats to the angle iron--this allows the seats to move on the original tracks(both seats move together though!)--It worked out fairly well,but would have been more comfy if the back wall of the cab wasn't so close--would be a lot better in a "burb" with nothing behind the seat!--I made a hillbilly console out of a plywood box to keep all my chains,jumper cables,etc between the seats,its ugly,but very handy,it added a lot of storage space ...

If I were you.I'd go shopping at the boneyard,measure your truck or one like it at the boneyard,and compare other seats from other cars and trucks--I wouldn't expect too see any good stock seats though,they are hard to find,most are trashed where the driver sits on 95% of chevy trucks--but look in crown victorias and chrysler imperials and big GM cars like caddy's and Impala wagons,you will likely come up with a seat that will fit decent,with a little modification to the brackets--just use grade 8 bolts and washers if you drill new mounting hole in your floor...

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

:confused:

Which Burbs have a flat floor? My 84 2wd has a humped floor, as did a '77 K20 I had for parts.

6. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Thanks

Hey thanks for the information. Looks like the wify found some on line for a good price. It is her Sub and she really liked these seats http://www.newsales.com/seats/chevy__sport__3pc.htm

So for a little more money than I wanted to spend we have a gray fabric seat with the air lumbar and heated options added. 1197 to our door. But they come with the brackets so they are a 20 minute install. Which is really what I need. As I will get these 2 days before our trip. Oh Yeah my floor board does have a hump under the front seat, It isn't very tall but it is still a hump.

Later

Tim