Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seat track broken ...HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GMMANIAC, Jun 14, 2002.

1. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

I have an '89 K5 with a broken track on the passenger seat. It's the one that allows the seat to slide forward. Need some opinions on what to do to fix it. The slider I have now is wasted so I will have to replace it. Was wondering if anyone has had this happen, and if anyone knows if the seats and tracks from a late model 2dr. Tahoe or Yukon will fit.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As is typical with GM, seats among similar vintage makes/models are typically fairly "generic".

I'd look to a mid 80's Camaro for the track, IIRC, the "slider" assembly can be removed from the seat bracket itself, albeit with some work. I think they are riveted on or something.

The newer vehicles changed the seat mounting points in all cases that I have heard of (like the Yukon, etc) because the interiors are so much different. I *personally* don't feel comfortable just bolting a seat to the flimsy sheetmetal, as opposed to where GM reinforced the floors for them.

3. GMMANIAC

GMMANIAC Registered Member

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try the dealer for the slider. If I didn't need to get to the back seat it wouldn't be a problem I would change the seats and reinforce the mounting areas but I do use my back seat occasionally so I really need the auto slider.

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i wouldent have a prob boltin anywhere on the floor...considering when i pulled up my carpet i found all my mounting bolts that were in the stock location had cracked and only about 1/4 inch of metal holdin it on /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd probably get sick of the seat rocking back and forth as the metal buckled though : ) I've seen enough GM cars with buckled floor pans to see that if its not reinforced, its not going to stay in place very well. I know its commonly done, but for strength (and perhaps safety) I'd adapt stock brackets to any seat I wished to install, instead of trying to use another vehicles brackets.

I'd also say that if your seat bolt holes were beat on hard enough to get cracked (and thats reinforced) you'd rather it NOT have been reinforced in the first place?