Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat Upgrade

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sjvcon, Mar 3, 2004.

1. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Has anyone put any of the newer seats into their rig. I have a '79 K-20 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif that I would like to put 2000 or up seats into. I like the integrated belts. Problem is that the floorboard on the '79 had a huge raised section that the seats mount to. The newer seats have much different mounting. Any tips?? Anyone make brackets (either a manufacturer or home made)??

Thanks guys.

2. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I mounted some '95 yukon seats in mine. The raised portion just means you need to use a spacer, especially on the drivers side. Square, tubular steel does a good job for this. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm planning on making the same upgrade in seats on my Blazer. I've got a pair of buckets out of my dad's 2002 Silverado. Should take some minor fab work to make them fit. Keep in mind that what ever mounting system you fab up for it, you must make it stronger than your stock Sub/Blazer mounts. Reason being is since you do have the integrated seat belts all thats holding you and the seat to the truck is whatever you put together. If it ain't strong enough and you do happen to wreck, you and the seat just became a projectile if the mount broke. Not a good thing.

My rotton floor will have to be fixed before I do this for that reason alone. When I do fix the floor I will be adding some heavier plate welded to the floor where I intend on mounting the seat at. Ideally the seats would be mounted to a rollcage, but I don't have that yet, nor the $$$ to do a cage.

I love the seats and the integrated belts will be great on the trail. And the 3 point belts will be an upgrade for my 75 that just has lap belts since the you can't mount a 3 point shoulder belt to the B piller like later trucks.

Just take a look at the floor of a new truck that you might be yanking the seats out of and you will see that there is much more support in the mounting area than compared to our generation of trucks. They have to take all the force of a crash (front/rear/side or roll) at just 4 points on the floor. Keep that in mind.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Good point about the seat belts. The seats from the yukon that I have are nearly identical to the newer seats, except for the seat belts (and yes they are power - my wife loves them). You might want to consider older seats without the seat belts if you're concerned about safely mounting them. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The older route is a possiblity, but I just can't beat the price on the seats I got (FREE!). Plus since mine just has lap belts as it is, installing any factory 3 point or aftermarket 4 point belt setup is going to require the same amount of fabrication. So I might as well kill two birds with one stone..