Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seat upgrades

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bad Banana, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Bad Banana

Bad Banana Registered Member

I am looking for suggestion on upgrading the bucket seats in my '77. I would like a seat that is newer and has the reclining backs, etc. I would prefer to use the stock mounting if possible, but a good seat is the most important.

Bad Banana

2. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Do a search in the 4x4 forum and you will get detailed instructions on a few different options.
    I am planning on doing what several members have done and use seats from a '96-'98 Suburban/Yukon/Tahoe/Extended Cab. It requires drilling holes in the seat base, but this allows you to use the holes in the floor and the plate that is there for added safety. Make sure if you do this that the seats will slide all the way foword, I am not 100% sure, but Suburban seats might slide foword enough for access to the back seats. The console mounts in w/o any mods I beleive.
    Do a search and you can see pics w/ this setup.

[​IMG]

3. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Heres what I did...

I found a set of 95 GM extra cab seats. The reason I went with these is they have the flip, and fold feature on the passenger side. This was before the 3rd door extra cab, but the first year of the newstyle (95 to 99) bucket seat. Since I get accused frequently of being anal about doing it the way I want, rather than what is simple, you may not want to go the path I did. Rather than just drilling holes in the floor wherever they would go, I spent a few hours (ok, days), modifying the 95 brackets to match the 82 Blazer holes. This was not easy, but I don't have to worry about them pulling loose. There was one hole on each seat that just wouldn't work, so I built 1.5" x 3/16" square plates to weld to the floor pan for re-inforcement. Here are a couple of pics....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/>http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

Re: Heres what I did...

Truck is looking good.
    Does the diver's side slide enough to get access to the back? I was told that the '96 and newer all slide enough, but I have not been around any of these trucks to verify it.

I know one member drilled holes on the base of his seats rather that the floor, which is probably what I will do. Another member made a adapter kinda like you did, but I have no fabrtication talent so I will probably just drill the seat base.

[​IMG]

5. N2-TRUX

N2-TRUX 1/2 ton status

Thanks...

It's coming along, but it's taking way to long. The drivers side on these seats is power, so it doesn't go forward very far. The manual seats may have more travel. The passenger side has the flip and fold feature so that is the rear seat access side. I may be wrong, but I think 96 was the year for 3 door extra cabs. That would mean that the flip and fold passenger side seat was only available in 95 with the newer style seat. I can tell you this. I have a 95 Yukon, a 97 1/2 ton crewcab, and these seats out of a 95. Although all the seats look the same, the brackets, springs, latches, etc are just a bit different on all of them. My suggestion is find the seats that you like, and figure out a way to make them work...

<font color=purple>N2TRUX<font color=purple>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/>http://n2trux.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

I put seats from 90 Plymouth voyager( Cloth with armrests) both front and rear in my 81 2wd 454 K5
    and love them they are an easy fit. Front seats sit one inch higher than stock Passenger seat has a handy comartment under it , They look like they were made for the Blazer and are more comforable than the seats in my big body Mercedes....also easy to find at salvage yard ......
    Mrivan..........

7. im_2gr82h8

im_2gr82h8 Registered Member

I personaly have seats out of a dodge daytona in my Jimmy. I personaly think there great! They have lumbar support and have great side support. Mounting wasn't diffucult with the help of a welder. :) On the drivers side I just used 2 bases welded on top of eachother, and on the pasenger side i used the stock mount and welded it to the new seat so it would still flip up for acess to the rear.

Lowriders are for guys that can't get it up!