Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seatbelt assembly fix ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaize, Mar 27, 2000.

1. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

The driver's side seatbelt spring assembly has not been retracting very well since I recently bought the '85 vehicle. I have fully extended the belt strap in an attempt to "loosen" the action on it, since the vehicle had been sitting for awhile... Also, I lightly oiled the "hub" of the spring assembly. Stretching and oiling have seemed to help the belt to retract better, but was wondering if anyone knows how to "re-build" the spring assembly, or if there is any other tricks that can be done to help the retracting ??

I have sourced the belt from the GM dealer ($180) and through JC Whitney ($60-$90), and understand the safety consequences of "messing" with the belt. But, I just want to know all of my options before making my final decision.

Thanks to all for any response to this post, and for all of the info that you guys throw around in previous postings !

Blaize

2. Nomorerust

Nomorerust Registered Member

3. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I have same problem. The guy I bought rig from said he ran into the back of another car (bent bumper a little on rig but over $3K dmg to car!). If I remember correctly, there is some sort of safety catch in the seat belts so that after an accident where it was used and stressed, you get the problem we're both having. It's a signal to go to a dealer and have unit replaced. Like you, I checked the dealer & they only had black (name's not Mr Red for nuth'n)! I'm just learning to live with it. As long as I inspect the belt (look for pulled threads) & mounts for damage I figure it's ok.

Maybe someone else has some insight on this one. I hope...

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So I don't Have an answer to your question, but I was wondering if that was your truck parked in the driveway on the corner of pv bl and I think it's lenore? The green paint gave it away. Are you usually home when the truck is? maybe I'll stop by one day.
    Later

Esteban
    SEMPER FIDELIS TO MY BLAZER

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, the good old "s" word again. (In Marine aviation, safety is the "s" word) I guess if the belts look good after a REALLY close look, the retractors still lock when you yank on the belts, and there's no deformation/distortion of mounts or hardware, it becomes a personal comfort issue. You may want to think twice about passengers, though. Can you imagine the lawsuit that would almost certainly follow if your passenger was ejected due to a seatbelt failure during a wreck? It's a sucky thought, but that's the good old sue-happy US of A for you. For my 2 cents, it would be money well spent.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Re: Estaban !

Yep, you have spotted the "Green Meanie", stop on by anytime ! Your profile is similar to mine, neat huh ? Anyways, get in touch with me ph# (310) 316-1293, thanks !

7. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Agreed Jarhead. I'm a Safety Engineer.

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

8. Esteban86K5

I spotted you today Mario. I was waiting to make a left onto Anza off of Torrance and you past me going west on Torrance. I pointed to you and I think you saw me. Did you? I'll have to give you a call sometime. I see the green meanie is rolling good on cement. Lets go take her to the dirt and play. Have you ever gone to the old ascot lot? When it gets muddy, it gets MUDDY!!!!
    Later

Esteban

9. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Hey, Estaban ! Yep, I saw you point at me on Torrance Blvd, on the way home from the supermarket. I was buying more food for my "Orca" (my hungry pregnant wife), make sure to stop by, or give me a call ! I used to race BMX at Ascot, but have not visited it with the truck, let's go after next rain ! Later !

10. Esteban86K5

Hey Mario, my wife says we can't play together anymore. She doesn't like the name you have chosen for your pregnant wife. (My wife is pregnant too you know) By the way, when is she due?

Later

Esteban