Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seatbelt fix?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaptCrunch, Feb 13, 2002.

1. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Did some searching today and didn't find much except replacement stuff. Has any one cracked one of these bad boys open and had success in cleaning, lubing or whatever to get them working good again?

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I took mine apart to try and fix it (started ratcheting when trying to use it, then wouldn't release) and figured out, that unless you needed matching numbers/year parts, it just isn't worth trying to fix.

You can clean them, but for repair, in one spot, they use a LARGE steel rivet, which woul dhave to be drilled out, and replaced...not too difficult, if you have access to large steel rivets : ) As soon as I saw that, I just said screw it and am working on getting some other belts. Theres really not much that you can reach to clean in them though, basically some space to blow out dust and hair.

Just drill out the one rivet that holds the cover on, and you can check out most of the innards.

Mine was ratcheting and what not, because one of the "pawls" as I'll call it, had bent, and after I jerked on it, snapped. Some of the pieces appear to be cast, this one was, and as small as it was, no repair was possible.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well let me start with the disclaimer here. NOT LEAGALY RESPONSABLE IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP.
    The main part of the seat belt that locks the belt to restrain you in an accident is not the problem, It works with a pendulm that when there is sudden movement of the truck gets at enough of an angle it prevents the belt from extending. If you will notice your problem is not extending it it is getting it to retract. It will extend and you either have to open the door or keep jerking on it to get it to tighten up and fit you in such a way as to keep your face off the steering wheel in the event you do get in a wreck. It was a comfort thing that the belt not always be pulling on you so GM put that little ratchet in there so you could put a little slack in the shoulder. problem is if you lean the belt doesn't come back. The replacement aftermarket belts don't have this feature. You can remove and disable the feature on the existing belts. So as long as your belts are locking when you slam on the brakes you can do something FREE about the not retracting part.
    Take the thing appart. There is a couple 1/8 inch rivits to drill out to get the cover off it.
    Remove the plunger junk that sticks through the door frame or what's left of it if it's broken off.. There is a spring you can pull off the return ratchet on the side and that will disable it forever.
    I would much rather put up with it tugging on my shoulder all the time than to have it get a bunch of slack in it and let me hit the wheel before the belt can stop me.
    The belt will still do it's job. I run newer belts mounted off my roll cage in my 75 and did this exact thing to them because no way to get the plunger to work since my belts are on the cage.
    I have been off camber as well as stood on the brakes enough times to know the belt still does the job. Like I said I personaly like it better without that comfort tension thing on it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input Grim and Dorian. I figured that it was a big hassle and somewhat of a saftey concern, but new a few of the hardcore DIY's had to play with them a bit. Think I will try Grim's idea and test it out to make sure it still locks up when you hit the brakes hard. If it doesn't, no real loss... I'll just pick up new ones... what is another couple hundred LOL.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>