Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seatbelt knob thingy in dorr jam...???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, May 30, 2002.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I recently adjusted my driver's door so it doesn't sag any more. I noticed before when the door sagged, it would never push the button in for the seat belt, but just push it off the side and past it. My seatbelt would work fine, pull out smoothly and reel in smoothly. But now with the button pushed in like it should be, the reeling in is very ratchety, if I lean forward it won't suck it back to stay tight, I have to pull it out and let go quick, same when I unbuckle the belt completely. So my question is what is this thing for, and is it bad if I just cut the plastic button off so I can go back to my smooth working seatbelt. Thanks in advance.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

That button pushes a little piece of wire back off of a little piece of plastic that acts as a ratchet for the retractor reel. The idea was that people could slighty tug on the belt, then the racthet would keep it loose. They hoped that more people would wear the belt if it was more comfortable. But on a bouncy trail the belt tends to just get more and more snug. When you open the door, the ratchet releases so that the belt will retract out of the way easily.

I cut the buttons off of mine, after taking it apart to confirm that the inertia mechanism that locks the retractor during an accident wouldn't be compromised. The inertia mechanism is pretty beefy and totally separate from the part that attaches to that button. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif (Makes sense when you think about it, as door often fly open in a crash. GM would get their butts sued off if the seat belts released when the door opened. ) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thank you very much Harry, I will take the die grinder to the buttons tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't compromising my saftey in it. thanks again.
    Ben 87 JImmy

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can remove the whole assembly pretty easy. Just pull the assembly off. There is one pop rivit to drill out. Pop a clip on the plunger and it pops out. Unhook the spring on the ratchet it connects too and it's gone.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Glad I could help! I'm with ya all the way on the safety thing. Dead is forever... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks Grim, I'll probably just do that becuase I had my seat belts off when I took the back panels off so they'll come off easily again. I'd rather take it right out than cut it off. Thanks again you two.
    Ben 87 Jimmy