Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seatbelt on 78

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 78K5395MT, Oct 8, 2002.

1. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

My seatbelt has suddenly decided to get jammed and stop working. How can I get the mechanism off. The bolt holding it in has a head that resembles an * and i think an allen wrench will strip it. The cover it riveted on and cannot be removed. Anyone else had this problem? I prefer life, so I'd like to get it fixed. '78/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Messed with my belts lately. It jammed up too. Likely you'll find a broken spring in there, which just so happens, doesn't appear to be "fixable". The entire mechanism once you get the cover off appears to be "tamper resistant". I'm sure you can get it apart, but for the time, I just got another set of used belts.

The head that holds it to the wall in my case is a *t-47* (regardless of what anyone else says, I cross referenced the GM tool part# with another manufacturer, and its a t-47) and yes, if you use an allen, it will likely strip. Believe that bolt got lock tited.

Earlier ones (maybe yours falls into that category) may not be t-47, but I guarantee you, my '86 is a T-47, (and so is almost every single GM car's seat belt bolts in the 80's) and nothing short of the engineer that designed or specified that bolt, is going to override the fact that the '86 service manual says the same thing.

3. Suffergauge

Suffergauge 1/2 ton status

It is called a torx bit. Run down to the local autoparts store that has a few tools. They will have it. Mine fit funny on the pass side, so I drifted it in, now it works on both the bolts just fine.

4. 78K5395MT

78K5395MT Registered Member

where did you get used seatbelts?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From someone locally, however this site would be a good source, as would your local paper, look for people parting vehicles out.

K5 belts, at least '81-up, don't interchange with any other C/K vehicles.