Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seatbelts when Wheeling, what do you think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Aug 5, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I figured I would post this and see what everyone else had to say. I used to keep my belt on everytime I went wheeling. I shortly found that the belt has a habit of locking up.... meaning it is working properly.... My back has gone out twice now from this. First thing I know I am pinned tight against the back of my seat and when I hit another bump like that right away the shock gets nailed up my spine and I spend the next two weeks hobbling around.[​IMG] So now I only wear my belt when i do something with the potential of crashing or rolling. Anyone else share the same feelings? I'd just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this one.
    Thanx,
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Personally I wear it all the time. You never know when something can happen. I mean a safe looking hill can be dangerous if some kids come flying around the corner and make you have to turn sharp to avoid them. You most likely can't grab the seat belt in time to put it on before you roll over.... the odds of that are slim, but hey you never know when something may happen. I'd rather throw out my back then dent my head in.... but that's just me.... I can see your point though. Hurting your back sucks and is no fun... so it's hard to say if it seems like nothing really could happen when wheelin'.... then why wear it? Of course here in CA you have to wear one period or risk getting a ticket from a bored park ranger or cop...

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

3. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

My personal opinion is to wear my lapbelt all the time and the rest of the 5 point harness when mud dragging only.

David 75K5

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

[image]http://www.extremeblazer.com/sideapproachL.jpg[/image]

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

If i am crawling up a hill or goin through a tight spot it will be off. Otherwise its on all the time. By me, most trails or just dirt roads that you can come flying through, so its a must.

1988 Chevrolet K5

5. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

I don't wear mine because of the way it locks up, but I will probably use the lap belt only now. Better half safe then totally sorry,right.

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I gotta bad back too, blew 5 disks 3 years ago. quite honestly I'd say you gotta keep your seat belts on. if nothing else (meaning no accidents etc.) if you hit bumps big enough to hurt you back then a bump that big could also through you outta your seat. I hate to tell ya but if you're not behind the wheel then that is a LOT more dangerous.

I'd say if that stuff hurts you back that bad then you got 2 options. drive slower, or stop wheeling.

you gotta have that back the rest of your life, and hurting it is only going to be a LOT worse in the long run.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Gotta say keep the seatbelts on. Period.

Now what you can do is tuck the shoulder portion down under your arm to make it less intrusive on you...........even pull it far enough out to tuck it under you somehow. But please keep the lap belt portion on at least.

My uncle is an EMT and has seen way too many ugly no-seatbelt situations.............on-road and off.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>

8. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I Wear Mine At All Times , You Never Know What Might Happen And Id Rather Stay In My Seat Than Bounce Out Of It.

A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING ..

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I try to wear it all the time while off-road, but it's a PIA to hang your head out the window to watch the tires with it on.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I wear mine to keep my big a** in the seat. [​IMG] Actually, I do hate the lockup, but it's better than the one in the '94 GMC I use to have. Someday, I will be moving to Mastercrafts and 5 points.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.handguncontrolinc.com>www.handguncontrolinc.com</a>

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mpascino, maybe you should add something to your seat to absorb the shock to your spine. Like Jeff said, your back has to last a long time. Check out http://backmend.com/

12. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I wear my belt in case of a roll-over and such...but I only wear the lap belt and take the shoulder strap and put it behind the back of the seat and the seat will hold it.

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

13. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

While on the road I'll wear mine most of the time. As for off-roading, I don't usually wear it. It's easier to see what I'm doing even though it's just mudding. If my truck tips while I'm mudding, there's nothing I can do about it anyway.

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Always always always! I've become quite anal retentive about seatbelt use over the years. You may need to scrounge truck salvage places for a set of Bostrom or similar torsion bar seats to help smooth things out.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Heres something to think about, when snatching on someone (or something), ALWAYS wear a belt. A friend was snatching once and ate the steering wheel. I have hit the end of the strap hard enuff to make evrything in the back of my F/S Cherokee (behind the back seat) come forward and scatter everywhere. Including a cooler full of ice and drinks, that landed in the floor on the pasengers side. I fortunately thot to put my belt on and avoided eating the wheel.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

16. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    i have to have them on or i feal nekid. once i had my passenger slide right out the side of my jeep since he didnt have his on. (we weren't going fast just hit and off camber spot he wasnt ready for). also the owner of a local 4x4 shop was killed last year when he rolled and was crushed by his cage. i guess a cage doesnt help if you end up outside of it.

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

17. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I can also tell ya this... I was in a head on at 55 and I should not have survived, and I was NOT wearing my seat belt (back before anybody really used them).

I've had several surgeries on my face, and I will carry the scars for NOT wearing it my entire life. it just isn't worth it, I'd not have a scar on my face if I was wearing it.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>

18. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I rolled mine on its passenger side once while going down a hill and letting the right side tires fall in to a rut. Slow and painless roll. But you know what.....our K5s are big, and strapped in the drivers seat looking out of the passenger window at the ground sure was a long fall. I was glad to have my belt on.

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i wear mine all the time, but i only have lap belts. i just tighten them down all the way so i dont have that effect. you coulg go aftermarket belts and seats(or belts only) both will help your back all around. i like 4 points, this way you can wear a lap belt on the road and harnes on the trail. and it is legal.
    Grant
    PS with the right seat and 4 point setup one is very cozy, but you might need better mirrors for on the trail.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I always wear mine on the road, and sometimes used to wear them off road. After what happened last week, I'm wearing them all the time. I was screaming through a bottomless mud pit and I bounced off the seat. I had to quickly put the gas to the floor again and I almost got stuck too soon as a result.

From now, I will wear it off road as well as on. You could get stuck if you bounce out of your seat! Or worse, you could get seriously injured.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles