Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

seats are killing my back

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Apr 10, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

my 84 k5 seats are killing me , when did they start
    using reclining seats in the blazers, or what vehicles
    are easy swaps for their seats ? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Reclining seats? I think they started using them pretty early on, but you needed the package. Might have come with the Silverado package, I know I have them on my 87, and I've also seen it up to 91.

I've also seen some mustang seats bolt in.

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have the silverado package , but mine is an 84 , which
    did not have them . so i guess seats after 87 should be recliners ? , and should bolt right up ?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

86 I believe. been discussed before.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, you are right. Same time they redesigned the floorpan/passenger seat for the slide/tilt forward design, as opposed to the earlier lift/tilt setup.

It may have been a late '85 deal as well, but it's pretty obvious.

It's not a "clean" retrofit, as the older style seats (yours) only have bolts at the front of the seat, while the later ones bolt like the drivers seat, in the front and rear .

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I bought my 83 silverado blazer it had recliners just like my two 87's.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my 85 had the all-the-bells-and-whistles package on it and its seats dont recline. I installed some Corbeau Baja SS seats. My back is VERY picky about seats and after my recent road trip I couldnt be happier. whats more, they are comparitively cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I just installed a set of seats from a 96 club cab chevy pickup into my 89. The driver side seat required enlarging the front bolt holes just a bit and the passenger required completly new holes and backing plates for the front two bolts.

The seats I got were 6way power, so they adjusted for heigth. I love them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The power lumbar support is a real back saver.

Shouldn't be to hard to find a set in your area.

Kent

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

they are pretty crappy...have you ever hit one of them really hard on the back rest of one of those seats? its like wood!

10. sdtPOS

sdtPOS Registered Member

I've been lookin at the Corbeau Baja's myself....at least one...my driver seat is shot....did you get the adapter brackets for them?? How much did they set you back if you dont mind....and where did you get them?? They list at $159 but I havent found them cheaper,That is still reasonable for suspension seats though.

I like the ammo cans too by the way....did you weld or bolt them in??

11. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Personally I think the stock GM seats in our trucks are pieces of crap, no matter wht year you have...Kevin (Fredekr) swapped in some seat from a Saab and they are awesome...he got both of them for like $150 and they have a stupid number of adjustments....and they all have heaters...He just built some simple brackets and walla, new comfy seat....I am all over that idea like flies on stink....just need to get my butt in gear to fix the rusty-azz floor...

I was looking at corbeaus, but I came to realize that they are meant to sit down into (like a sports car) not crawl up on (like a big truck) all the Jeeps I have seen around town that have the corbeaus, the outside hip bolsters are starting to rip off....

Chris

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

91 Burb seats recline, and are as comfy as anything I've parked my butt in - including the Flofits in my K5. Nice armrests too......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been lookin at the Corbeau Baja's myself....at least one...my driver seat is shot....did you get the adapter brackets for them?? How much did they set you back if you dont mind....and where did you get them?? They list at $159 but I havent found them cheaper,That is still reasonable for suspension seats though.

I like the ammo cans too by the way....did you weld or bolt them in??

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt get adapters... i use all the factory hardware on my corbeaus. You can see what i did in webshots... essentially bolted a 1/8" steel plate to the factory mounting hardware... angle iron to that plate... and then the seats to the angle iron. Not the most elegant way to mount seats, but its strong, cheap, and it works. Once i get the interior portion of my cage done, the seats will be intergrated into it, so I didnt wanna waste money on trick aftermarket sliders and stuff.

I forget how much they cost... I bought em online... from a jeep place if I remember right. Basically did a yahoo search for them and just spent an hour or so going through the search results. I never did find them much less than $150. If I remember right, I think they were $140 or 145 a pop. Not much less than the listed price... but its the best I found.

Ammo cans are bolted in... basically put a big block of 2" thick weather treated wood in the bottom of each can... then drilled through the wood... the can... then the body and bolted them up. I used carrier bolts, and the nuts are on the inside of the can so they are relatively thief resistant. They are super-simple to make lockable, just drill a couple of holes and mount a u bolt in em and you're done. I could have used bigger u bolts and a bigger pad lock (to prevent smaller bolt cutters from workin), but they havent been broken into yet... in spite of the fact that my rig has been burglerized twice since i put em in.

j