Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seats for a pickup

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CyberSniper, Dec 12, 2003.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, it's time to do something about the seats in my truck.

I enjoy my bench seat but it needs a new skin which is $151.

Might as well find new seats altogether for that much, right?

You K5 guys don't have to deal with the rise under the seats for us truck guys with saddle tanks. But we just need seats that fold forward to get to junk behind the seat.

From my searches I have found that people have used these in K5s:
    Mazda 626 seats
    Astro van seats
    96 up Tahoe/Suburban/extended cab 40-20-40 seats
    Geo Metro seats
    ~95 Caravan seats
    97up Ford truck seats
    ~95 Mitsubishi minivan seats

Blah blah blah, what about pickups? I haven't ever seen a good looking bucket seat setup for a pickup except ones that came factory.

Will the late model Tahoe/Suburban/extended cab seats fit in my truck without pushing the seat up too close to the steering wehel or put my head through the roof?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

take a look at my webshots, they are aftermarket steel horse c5 corvette clones. Comfortable, but pricey. Last time i looked price for vinyl was like 750, cloth 850, leather 950, but that has been awhile ago. JCWhitney seemed to have the best prices when i got mine.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i always wanted to throw the k5 seats in my truck but still havnt come up with a plan to mount them with out them going through the roof..

4. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I saw a pickup with buckets from a later model Bronco. Had to slightly modify the stock Bronco brackets.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those are cool looking seats but I prefer ones that wrap around less. They look mighty comfortable. Kind of like a firstgen Bravada seat only more refined and larger.

However, I don't like seats that wrap around me because most of the time it makes them uncomfortable. They remind me of f-body seats. Guaranteed to roll your shoulders in and make you slouch. I'm convinced if someone were to drive 100k on factory seats they'd look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Not to mention those puppies cost what a winch does. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I'm pretty sure I'm destined to find a junkyard seat, even if it is a 90-94 seat (88-89s blow). I figure a junkyard shouldn't charge me much more than $400 for pristine seats since they aren't something normally sold out of a vehicle.

Well, except for maybe C5 seats. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I don't know, I need some ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I don't want to lose any head room or leg room because as it is right now I wish my seat went further back. I can always fabricate mounting but I can't do much about the size of the seats.

6. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Right now I am trying to find three seats to mount inside of my '75 K10. Currently I have a seat I got from my grandmas neighbor and the two seats out of my '84 k5 just setting in there. It obviously will not work out. The thing that limits my seat choices is that I need 3 seats, far enough apart to slide a shotgun or rifle in betwwen the outside two seats and the middle one and short enough to hang two guns in the rear window. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Oh and I need to be able to set in them without tilting my head and having to damn near put a foot in each corner of the cab due to the fact that the steering wheel is about an inch away from the seat. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think I will go across the street to my friends house and measure the seats in his S15 Blazer. Alex (blzr4x4ingkid2) has 2 S series buckets in the back of his blazer in place of the bench. I've ridden in them and they are good, I also think they will be thin enough to mount three of them in the cab. $hit this is all just coming to me as I am typing this. I may have just found my solution.

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I was looking into getting 90-94 or even the newer seats froma junkyard. I looked at all, the late model yards around here(STL) and never found any. Apparently they are pretty popular. The one place that I found could get one, but he wanted $200 for a 60/40 in red or $275 for a 40/20/40 with the console in the 20. I was also researching the idea of late model dodge ram seats. They are 40/20/40 also. I never figured out if they would work because I found what appear to be aftermarket seats for our trucks in a truck at a junkyard in a dump bed work truck. They were pretty nasty/dirty nut for $30 and a bottle of Simple Green to clean em up it turned out to be a good deal.

They don't have any ID on them but I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket because my brackets bolted right on and they have several other holesfor what I guess would be other applications. They put me in the same position as my factory bench.