Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Seats wet best way to dry out? Get rid of mildew?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Aug 18, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

My truck has been sitting out in the rain for a while my seats are soaking wet. Whats the best way to dry them out? Also whats the best way to avoid mildew? Thanks!

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

What has worked for me is to squish out what I can. (which involves a wet arse from sitting in it) Then vacuum out as much as you can then set them in the sun to dry. Or to not remove the seats, leave the windows open just a bit, so that max heat will build up in there but moisture will be able to escape, and let it bake. Worked for me so far.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yank the seats and put them in a garage with heat. Depending on how bad the skins were I'd yank the skins off them too.

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

buy my seats...
    er wait no... replace seats with 5 point style raceing seats...
    well, they told ya GREAT ways to get them dry with no mildew. they all work well.
    grant

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Just unzip the cover from that back, pull it off, take the foam out......either let it dry, or go by replacement foam at a fabric store.... wash your cover's, then let it air dry

(by cover's I mean the factory seat cover's)

Brandy

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Air movement really helps. Stuff a fan there somewhere.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

On my '74 (which leaks like a sieve -- don't they all ;-) I carry around a tub of stuff called DAMP-OUT ... it's some kind of gnarly-ass salt, like you get in those little packets comes with stereos and whatever when you buy them ... that say "Silica Dessicant Gel Do Not Eat".

Bought it at the local Ace, I think. It sucks all the moisture up, turns into slush; I just pour the excess water into the garbage, keeping the goo in the tub (it's like a big plastic butter tub).

This last wet season the tub overflowed (musta been a LOT of moisture in the truck, LOL) so I put it in an old litterbox I had handy to catch the overflow (what can I say, I have six cats ;-)