Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

SEC rear tire bumper

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefjerky, Sep 3, 2001.

1. beefjerky

beefjerky Registered Member

anybody know anything about sec rear tire carrier? good or bad deal?
    thanks

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I looked into them.I have to admit.,they make top quality stuff but I was quoted $350-450 bucks.That was alittle steep for me.I'm sure you get what you pay for,but still,it was too much for my poor butt!

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

3. beefjerky

thanks for the reply. 450 is alot of dough, but it does get that damn tire out of there. do you know of anyother leads or ideas?
    rob86blazer

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I too have given SEC a thought or two but in the long run I'll just mite make mine Rockstomper has a bearing just for the tire carrier for forty bucks. If you have access to a welder it's not bad idea. Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

6. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

I've got the full SEC rear bumper and tire carrier. Very well built. If you buy it you won't regret it. Keep in mind that most of the time you get what you pay for so if you pay premium you are more likely to only pay once. Keep in mind this is from someone with out the tools, knowledge or connections to make it myself.

7. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I built mine myself using plumbing pipe from a construction job, a throwout bearing for the pivot point and some 1/2 inch steel from another construction job. Various parts bolts and stuff from the hardware store. Check it out in the members rides.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

8. MudTruk

MudTruk Registered Member

Mreetz, sweet bumper! How heavy is that wide flage? Looks pretty heavy. Also, how did you attach (latch) the swing arm to the bumper itself? It all looks good and I would like to build one myself, very similar to yours.

pete

Gotta go, before ya show!

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

How heavy is what? Looks like you and I are in the same business!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You might also try Kennesaw Mountain Accessories. They did a review of their front/rear bumps on www.off-road.com. At any rate, I ordered a front bump from them and will post pics and do a mini-review when I get mine. Maybe it'll help, I dunno. =|

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

11. hawglet

hawglet 1/2 ton status

That bumper looks sweat. I've got a design but I need to figure out how to latch the tire to the bumper. How did you build the latch? With what?etc. Congrats. If you can put a closeup pic or some kind of sketch of the latch it would help greatly, to several of us!!!! Thanks.

Thanks,
    Greg Gayman
    Hawglet
    Stovie
    hawglet@excite.com

12. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

By latch do you mean opposite of the pivot point? I'm building that tonight and will get pix of it then!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs

13. beefjerky

do you mean the bearing for the swing arm? does the sec bumper have this bearing or is it just a big bolt?

14. beefjerky

does the tire swing arm move smoothly? was the installation easy? about how much does the entire bumper weigh? any options that i should consider?
    thanks

15. beefjerky

no welder on this end. sounds like you have the plan. how did it turn out?

16. beefjerky

i thought those bumpers were mostly for jeeps? any noticeable difference from the SEC bumper to the kennesaw mtn accessories?
    thanks

17. beefjerky

are you a member of the ore bushhackers? about how many members go on the runs? still looking for details on the bumper. i just want to get that damn tire out of the truck. 

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I really wanted to go with the SEC bumpers... I would have to but the shipped killed the deal... might ask them about the shipping before you get to the point where you really want them and then you end up like me [​IMG]

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

19. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

Beefjerky; the installation was extremely easy. Take the old one off, put the new one one. Everything matched up perfectly. When I mounted the front bumper I had to use my high lift to spread the frame rails about 1/16th inch, that was the only modification I had to make mounting either one. Not sure of the weight. I could lift it with out too much trouble but a little help was nice to put it on. I do like the newer system Fredd has for mounting the high lift jack, vertical instead of horizontal like mine. I don't have the gas can mount but I don't need one. If you carry extra gas you should consider it. The tire mount pivot point is made from a trailer axle and has two sets of roller bearings and a zirk fitting. It couldn't be smoother and should last forever. Hope this helps.

20. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure that SEC has a bearing also for the swing arm.

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com