Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Second Generation brushguard/pushbar

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Foy, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Gents- This is supposed to be my first "Orange" post, having just coughed up the $ for full membership. Membership will be in my son's name, Cooper, who tomorrow gets his provisional driver's license and will receive the keys to the family's venerable 1990 1/2 ton Suburban Silverado K1500, all with 180,000 miles on the TBFI 350. We've spent several of the last few weekends getting the old girl spiffed up, and except for a troublesome gear whine that I think is the 241C trans case going south, all is well with new rear springs (no more listing to the port side), new rear shocks (RS9000 Ranchos), new front shocks (Monroe Gas Magnums), and a set of sparkplugs, dist cap, rotor, and plug wires.
    So, I've done some looking around here and elsewhere and am not finding a source of brushguards/pushbars for this truck, except for some pretty chincy looking chrome ones. This truck is all black and we're looking for a pretty standard (not the "Euro" look) pushbar/brushguard combo, with light tabs.

Any suggestions as to suppliers?

Oh, and say "Happy Birthday" to a newly licensed Bowtie-driving motorhead from NC--Cooper

Thanks guys

Foy

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Have you tried 4x4 iron, who I believe is one of the site sponsors.

3. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

4x4 Iron would be a good place to look but they are not making or taking any more orders till they get set up in san marcos tx......Jason

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Road Armor makes some big beefy ones, but they are very heavy and somewhat pricey....

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

www.truckfarm.com they've got some nice ones on their website. no pic's just drawings of them.

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

7. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i got mine out of a local trading paper for 50$
    had a welder do a few spots and its good as new.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well Smitty Built had some in both Chrome and black at one time. These retained the factory bumper and bolted over it. There were some inexpensive (I'll refraim from "Cheap" because I haven't seen them) in J.C.Whitney. That's they style with two uprights and two tubes joining them. Some have the add on light guard. Then you could also keep an eye on the forsale forum and on occassion the Military grill guards show up. Again this will bolt over the existing bumper.

That's pretty well it for "Inexpensive".

If you went with a custom bumper then the sky is the limit. 4x4 Iron has some good stout products.

9. Foy

Foy Registered Member

Thanks, guys-
    Grim Reaper: I've seen the JC Whitney, and I just say "they aren't for me" and leave it at that. There's an eBay seller selling the Military styles, and my initial objection to drilling holes in a pretty nice Silverado bumper is now morphing into a consideration to get a painted junkyard bumper, bolt the Military style to that, and paint it all a nice gloss black. The eBay price was $160, and shipping would bring the whole thing to just under $300, and that seems like a decent situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cooper

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

these folks made the one on mine... Ranch-Hand and it's pretty stout! (actually it's their front, rear and steps on the ol' gal).
    Here's a mug shot (although a bit dated..) 91 Suburban
    They're native to Texas (where i bought her), but their web site says they have a national distribution system. Not sure how pricy, or if you can even find one still for a 90-ish....
    hope it helps..
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks, guys-
    Grim Reaper: I've seen the JC Whitney, and I just say "they aren't for me" and leave it at that. There's an eBay seller selling the Military styles, and my initial objection to drilling holes in a pretty nice Silverado bumper is now morphing into a consideration to get a painted junkyard bumper, bolt the Military style to that, and paint it all a nice gloss black. The eBay price was $160, and shipping would bring the whole thing to just under $300, and that seems like a decent situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cooper

[/ QUOTE ]

No holes to be drilled. Look at your front bumper at the existing bolts. you take those bolts out and use longer bolts throught the existing holes in the bumper to mount most aftermarket and the military one.