Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

second opinion on drivetrain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrprex, Apr 9, 2000.

1. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

I recently bought my '88 Blazer for a semi-project(a toy) and I was trying to identify what components I have. I know what kind of engine but I was looking at the transfer case and I wasn't sure if it was a 205 or a 208. The case is aluminum which led me to believe that it was a 205 and it was misleading as to what numbers I should be looking at to identify them in my manual. Any comments? I also have a four speed manual tranny. I think it is a muncie 4 speed (one granny gear and three speeds). Could someone please set me straight? The motor is a 5.7L 350 with a TBI if that helps. Thanks in advance.

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If it's an aluminum case, then you have an NP208 which came stock in that truck. The NP205 was a cast iron case with aluminum tail correct guys?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    tex is correct. But also, the 205 usually has a bolted on flange for the driveshaft. The 208 has that piece of crap slip yoke. And if nothing has been repalced on the truck, its a 208. I've got one in my 88 TBI'd 350.

Oh, isn't there a small silver & red ring attached to the t-case? Should be and includes all the info.

Corey

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

After reading about the tag I went out and looked at the Transfer case again. You guys are absolutely right about it being a 208 and there is a tag on it. I must have been blind not to see it before. Thanks again.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If it was anything like mine it was covered in goo and mud