Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Secondaries won't open on my Quadrajet, help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Apr 15, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Secondaries won\'t open on my Quadrajet, help!

The Secondaries on my 84 Quadrajet are not opening. I jammed a screw into the slider so they could not open and sure enough ti felt exactly the same as without that screw there. Anyone got ideas? My vaccum source is that port right next to the brake vaccum on the back of the carb. I believe thats how the emissions chart shows it. Gonna get a carb off an 83 tomorrow rebuild it and slap it on.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Secondaries won\'t open on my Quadrajet, help!

Secondary problems are often choke linkage problems. The linkage doesn't let the secondaries open up till the choke is open. If the linkage is a bit tweaked the secondaries will never open.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my choke is severly messed up as far as I can tell. So I just said forget it, got an 83 Quadrajet last night. As far as I can tell same as mine just the vaccum for the secondaries are a little different. So gonna slap that on this afternoon.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My choke is held open with a zip tie...but then again 59 deg is cold here /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

If you recently take the carb off, When you put it back on, the carb could be shifted sightly near the rear butterflies on the gasket. This could be holding you secondaries shut. Also another easy way is to hold the choke open by the weight that opens the choke open and open you carb wide open and look down the carb and see if the secondary's are open. If it feels like the fours push hard, it might be the carb gasket binding the fours shut. Just llosen carb and wiggle it around a little and try it then. Hoped this helped, GOOD LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good idea. I rebuilt that 83 today. I don't know I pretty much just replaced the gaskets. I had never rebuilt one of those before and it had the little ball bearing and some bushings and clips and I didn't install any of those. I looked at them I could not for the life of me find where they were suppossed to go. I just pulled it and cleaned it and put new gaskets and a new float and that whole assembly in.